#142547  by lj_306

Hey I've been playing a reissue Fender Blues Deville for sometime, and I love it. Gets close to that 72/73 Jerry tone. BUT after about 3 on the volume knob it starts getting muddy. Was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for an amp head with reverb that gets close to that Blues Deville tone, but stays clean at higher volumes. Thanks!
 #142548  by mgbills

Mesa Boogie TA-30 has onboard reverb. It does beautiful Jerry cleans with the only perceivable difference being EL-34 instead of 6L6 tubes. I think there is a Lonestar head. Mark I, II, or III if you need a whole lotta loud.

All great amps. Love Mesa's.
Peace
M
 #142553  by tcsned

+1 on the Boogies, I've had a Mark III since 1987 and it's still a great amp. Do you have a budget?

You might want to look into a SMS preamp. Brad can give you the 70s era mods, I kind of went between the 70s-80s versions and I love it. If you like tube power you can get a Mesa 50/50 power amp or a 20/20 if you want less power. Or you can get a Mac power amp.
 #142608  by mgbills

Another weird thing I recently saw….
Nina Gerber playing with Greg Brown. If you don't know Nina …she has the coolest pedal steel Strat bends I've ever heard. (Sorry Pete. No offense intended.) Uses a volume pedal and a Mesa Dual Rectifier!

I know …you're thinking jumjumjumjum…jaja…jumjumjum..

Nope! Squeaky clean tones. Pedal steel squeaky tones. Incredible.

Don't knock it until you play with the knobs.
Peace
M
 #142609  by tatittle

Kirk Hammett setup with .00007's for strings? lol