#141989  by Deadhead85

So, I want to setup a gcx audio switcher in my rig, using all my pedals. The IVP has two effects loops (pre eq/post eq)....I was wondering, can I use one GCX unit tied into both IVP loops? Is it as simple as hooking up pedals on the gcx between each IVP in/out? For example, loops 1-5 on the gcx run through pre eq IVP loop, and gcx loops 6-8 run through post eq loop. Seems as though it should work? Can anyone shed some light on this??
 #141995  by strumminsix

Yup, that'll work just fine. It seems like unneeded wiring though as you can simply plug into your GCX first, hit your first pedals, then IVP then back half of pedals.
 #141996  by JDB30

Deadhead85 wrote:So, I want to setup a gcx audio switcher in my rig, using all my pedals. The IVP has two effects loops (pre eq/post eq)....I was wondering, can I use one GCX unit tied into both IVP loops? Is it as simple as hooking up pedals on the gcx between each IVP in/out? For example, loops 1-5 on the gcx run through pre eq IVP loop, and gcx loops 6-8 run through post eq loop. Seems as though it should work? Can anyone shed some light on this??
Yes, you can do this. However, it's a lot of extra work unless you're trying to rack your pedals and control with a MIDI switcher (such as the Ground Control Pro). You can also use a channel of the GCX to switch between the Clean & "Tube" channels on the IVP.
 #141998  by Deadhead85

Yea, thats what im after. Initially, I want all my pedals on 2 rack shelves behind me. Clean up my tone, without all the pedals in the middle. I like the idea of having them available, and bring them in when needed. I also bought an older digital music corp midi controller. I'll get there, piece by piece! Thanks for the replies!!
 #142175  by JDB30

Deadhead85 wrote:Yea, thats what im after. Initially, I want all my pedals on 2 rack shelves behind me. Clean up my tone, without all the pedals in the middle. I like the idea of having them available, and bring them in when needed. I also bought an older digital music corp midi controller. I'll get there, piece by piece! Thanks for the replies!!
Also, as someone else pointed out on this discussion, the notion of effects loops with a pre-amp is kind of redundant. In this MIDI age, you can, except for some really custom applications such as W/D/W, think of your effects going in one of two places:

1) Between your guitar and pre-amp (also known as instrument-level or -10db)

2) Between your pre-amp and power amp (also known as line level or +4db)

Most pedals that "color" the tone (filters, wah's, distortions, etc.) go before your pre-amp (equivalent of Loop One in the IVP). Most effects that are "time-based" (chorus, delay, reverb) go after your pre-amp and before your power amp. Some of these effects like delay and reverb work much better in parallel with your dry sound as opposed to series. Therefore, it's better NOT to run these kinds of effects through a pre-amps effects loop (unless it's a parallel loop like in Brad's SMS stuff). Since most pre-amp & amps only have a serial loop, it's better to run your pre-amp into a line level mixer and then "sum" with your time-based effects via the effects send(s) of your mixer. There are also matrix mixers like the Switchblade that let you choose which effects are series and which are parallel and where in your signal chain they go.

Forgive me if this is more information than you wanted but since you are trying to combine modern MIDI-based technology (such as the GCX) with vintage gear, I though I would try to save you some time & aggrevation, as I've done this in my setup. If you are wanting to simply mimic the vintage gear that Weir used, then running it through the IVP's effects loops is fine. You can even use the GCX to control relays on the vintage gear (such as switching between Flange & Delay on an AD-230 or switching between channels on the IVP.

PM me if you want me to help you with your setup. I'll need to know exactly what gear your using and I can work up a plot for you with the GCX. You'll need a MIDI pedal (such as the Ground Control Pro) to control it.