#94670  by ugly rumor

My first exposure was Europe '72; it is still my favorite song to play, especially if not rushed, which so many try to do. "Truth" is a great album!
 #138291  by zambiland

Rusty the Scoob wrote:Bassline descends both times, 2nd time is exactly the same as the first but down an octave. Couldn't tell you the notes with 100% certainty without a bass in my hands, so I won't try. I always try to play the last couple of notes a little late and sloppy for authenticity's sake.
|D (2, 3) C (2,3) B (2,3) G(2,3) F#(2,3) G F# G A :|| repeat one octave lower. (numbers in parentheses are beats. I'm not sure how to notate the rhythm for the last bit without using standard notation). The last lick before entrance of the guitar solo can also be a big C power chord, as per the movie.
 #138296  by James-T

Just out of curiosity, what time signature do most folks consider the walk-up to be in. I've played with a pretty good bass player who called a waltz, I personally like that and look for an accent on every third beat. Our drummer swears its straight 4/4 and counts it in fours but accents every third beat, which is simply impossible for me to keep track of - like 1 2 3< 4 1 2< 3 4 1< and so on....his point is with the middle and ending chromatic riffs it has to be straight 4/4 or you can't count it.

We rarely if ever nail it because the drummer never gives me an accent beat to shoot for. :? He's more like 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4, and so its like wish me luck every time! because timing has never been my strength, unfortunately!

Peace, :smile:

James
 #138297  by zambiland

James-T wrote:Just out of curiosity, what time signature do most folks consider the walk-up to be in. I've played with a pretty good bass player who called a waltz, I personally like that and look for an accent on every third beat. Our drummer swears its straight 4/4 and counts it in fours but accents every third beat, which is simply impossible for me to keep track of - like 1 2 3< 4 1 2< 3 4 1< and so on....his point is with the middle and ending chromatic riffs it has to be straight 4/4 or you can't count it.

We rarely if ever nail it because the drummer never gives me an accent beat to shoot for. :? He's more like 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4, and so its like wish me luck every time! because timing has never been my strength, unfortunately!

Peace, :smile:

James
I never really thought about it, except that the bulk of it does seem to be in three. If you just count 1, 2, 3 for each note in your head and then play the licks as two beats of eighth notes, you'll be fine.

So, 5 bars of three, a bar of two and then repeat.
 #138301  by James-T

I like that - 5 bars of three a bar of two and repeat. Wish me luck explaining that to my drummer, but its a simple way of approaching it. I'm thinking from an academic point of view it's a time signature change and not 4/4. :smile:

Peace,

James
 #138304  by zambiland

James-T wrote:I like that - 5 bars of three a bar of two and repeat. Wish me luck explaining that to my drummer, but its a simple way of approaching it. I'm thinking from an academic point of view it's a time signature change and not 4/4. :smile:

Peace,

James
Well, if you want to get all abstract about it, I also think about it in terms of the post apocalyptic context of the tune. 4/4 is our comfortable walking pace. We hit that section and go into 3, as we head outside and look around at the terrible, awesome destruction, left, right, ahead, 5 times as we walk forward, stumble ahead for two beats and do it again. Then, going back into 4/4 we rush ahead, looking for any sign of life. I guess it doesn't matter, anyway.