#129964  by flyingheelhook

Hey now,

Years of lurking, first post. After almost 20 years of playing mainly acoustic I am starting to get back into the electric scene. Currently, I have a basic rig of either an '82 Ibanez AR305 Artist/'69 Gibson Les Paul funning directly to a recently refurbished '75 Fender Twin Reverb (modded to blackface specs). Although I really do prefer to play clean, I recently acquired a Line 6 M13 for some conservative use of various stomp box effects. I have two projects potentially available where I would be fulfilling more of a Bobby-role so I am considering adding some color.

Given the limitations of my set up, does anyone have any thoughts on two or three sequences of stomp box effects that will get me reasonably close to a couple of 'standard/generic' Bobby tones? I've been reading through ( and will continue to) earlier posts and have seen mention of slap back echo, flangers, compression, and "A cmatmods deeelay in back with an Emma, Calinbread Serrano Picaso, Barber LTD SR, and Maxon PH-350." <-- gonna try to figure that one out when I get home from work.

Any input would be appreciated. Anyone willing to share/swap M13 scenes will be considered god-like. :lol:

Thanks,

Flying Heel Hook
Last edited by flyingheelhook on Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #129966  by flyingheelhook

addendum: I think I found enough to play with for a while - I pulled some notes:
A cmatmods deeelay in back with an Emma, Calinbread Serrano Picaso, Barber LTD SR, and Maxon PH-350. I know some folks swear by the flanger and I agree it was present alot but the swishy from the 350 really gets you there IMO.
slap back echo
The UE-700 neatly consolidates five effects in a rack: Phaser, Compressor, Distortion, Flanger and Equalizer,
I hear Delay + neck pickup + 0 bass / strong lowmids & low trebble / strong presence + G type chord phrasing + Bobby attack
So basically what we hear is this : Black Box tube buffer - Eleven for amp modeling - Avalon for compression - TC for stereo fx - DI to the PA system, and that's it.
While I am playing with the above, still interested in swapping M13 scenes with anyone who might be interested, thanks!
 #129984  by flyingheelhook

Ok, so maybe this will help, I am trying to emulate the tone Bob is playing on Brown Eyed Women from this show:

http://archive.org/details/gd1978-01-30 ... eok.flac16

Any help would be appreciated - is this the slap back?
 #129996  by Dozin

I think it's the AD230.

I did a small video and I don't have as much shimmer as Weir has going on in this version you posted but you should be able to hear it.

I said that's pretty much it but there's so much more to the AD230. It's my first video and I didn't know what to say

Don't beat me up on my playing ;) I'm whipping through this and there's no breathing room (Weir style) playing by yourself lol
 #130005  by flyingheelhook

Yeah, its private - I can see the preview but can't watch the video...

I think part of my problem is having a good set up to listen and then try to emulate. The other is having not been playing electric for so long and then the M13 gives me too many toys to play with at one time. :lol: I get lost in the sounds.

I was listening to the show in my car on the way to work this morning, cranked up, and I heard things I didn't before, or maybe I wasn't listening. Anyways, I am going to take another stab at it tonight and will let you know how it goes. If you can share your video/make it public, I'd appreciate it but regardless I do appreciate everyone's help.

Lastly, I did find a rudimentary place for sharing M13 settings. If I dial any in that sound reasonably good, I will share them here although I don't know how many other M13 users are on this forum:

http://www.vettaville.nl/patchov.php
 #130006  by Dozin

Sorry, thought it was private from youtube. not you guys. newbie
 #130008  by Dozin

That's correct, either the multi-flanger or the delay. Not both at the same time.

Considering the time frame 1978. I believe he was only using the AD-230. I don't think it sounds like the phaser of the UE700. He could be using the EQ with it.
 #130011  by strumminsix

Dozin,nice video and I think you demonstrate it very well!

FTR, I don't hear a difference in flangers between the 2 units (UE700 vs AD230) but I'm not a flanger guy so I'll defer to your ears :)

Regarding 1978, he had the UE700 for NYE Closing of Winterland for sure and I suspect it wasn't new since I recall hearing phaser and OD in early 78 too. Maybe not January though.

BTW, are you playing a Bm in the chorus vs B ?
cplayer2 liked this
 #130013  by Dozin

I'm playing a B but only 3 notes, same with the A and so on with the E all 3 note chords

7 5
9 7
9 7
- -
- -
- -