When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #129787  by cripeowner

Regardless how you feel about JM personally or his music he is a good if not great guitar player. Tasteful and concerned with sound quality and plays some nice gear. Anyone who likes nice gear and sound quality is ok with me.
 #129789  by Smolder

He, much like Robben Ford, are fantastic guitar players. Both of them have more talent in their single little finger nail than I have in my whole body... but, IMHO they make music that pretty much puts me to sleep.
 #129798  by tigerstrat

I hate him a little bit for guitarbombing the one song I was able to see of The Police reunion. There were as many closeup of him as there were of Sting, and glimpses of Andy Summers were scarce. But his chops are sharp, his music is pretty tasty if not quite my thing- what I've heard, and his guest spot on Chappelle's Show was brilliant.
 #129896  by jackr

Robben is one of my favorites. See if you still find him boring here

#129903  by Smolder

jackr wrote:Robben is one of my favorites. See if you still find him boring here
I tried... sampling through it. I think he's a great player... but I've tried listening to every solo record he's made a couple of times (because so many old guys are rabid fans) and I just can't get into those tunes or that LA style blues thing.
 #129906  by dleonard

Have always respected his playing. I also love to hear the more personal / uniquer interpretations of Dead songs. This GDTRFB is awesome
 #130039  by strumminsix

I sorta dig him for sure. He's popular and rocky and bluesy. And for that I am grateful!! Too much pop crap and glad to have him popular!!

Regarding his constant homage to past greats isn't that what:
1) we are all doing here
2) so many greats did for the first half of their careers - think of all the early rockers inspired by the blues greats!

His GDTRFB was tastey! Some nice crosss between Dead, standard blues, and his own LA / JM blues thing.
 #130041  by tcsned

strumminsix wrote:I sorta dig him for sure. He's popular and rocky and bluesy. And for that I am grateful!! Too much pop crap and glad to have him popular!!

Regarding his constant homage to past greats isn't that what:
1) we are all doing here
2) so many greats did for the first half of their careers - think of all the early rockers inspired by the blues greats!

His GDTRFB was tastey! Some nice crosss between Dead, standard blues, and his own LA / JM blues thing.
I agree strummin, not necessarily my thing but the guy can play pretty darn well especially in an age where there aren't a lot of guys that can actually play that have achieved his level of popularity. I've seen him 4 times. The first three when he opened for Phil and Friends at the Filmore, Warfield, and SF Civic for the 2005 New Years run. Had his smaller band and while he was pretty much the same each night as far as I could tell but was also consistently good. I also saw him here in Blacksburg with Dave Matthews, for free, to provide a much needed distraction from some heavy, awful shit. It was his big, more pop band. They still played really well and had a slick live sound. I liked it but less than the smaller group, though very cool of him to do that.

That being said, I don't listen to him or have any of his music in my collection. So as much as I appreciated the times I saw him, his music doesn't necessarily speak to me. It's cool that he's doing some Dead, I read an interview with him in some guitar magazine and he mentioned that he was listening to a lot of Dead. Can't blame him there :-)
 #130050  by easytoslip

Mayer's a great songwriter, especially love his disc Continuum for driving to and from shows at night! Have seen him do Phish's Stash riff in one of his tunes on a live clip on youtube as well. Checking out the alembic link now, thanks for posting. Tiff

edit to add: It's got to be tough as all getout to 1. write original music 2. involve soul 3. keep yourself healthy and happy 4. make decent money and get a lot of fans while doing 1-2-3-and-4.
In my eyes that's exactly what he's done and is doing. I say props to the man :thewave: