#129251  by Linkslover

I'm looking for a new pedal to replace the MXR Dyna-comp which i bought to use for getting some more sustain it of my rig. It's been a disappointment so i thought I'd ask for recommendations. I've heard some good things about the Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone, but I've only seen YouTube demos.

Anyone have any thoughts?
 #129296  by jenkins

I use the maxon compressor and it works awesome as a sustain pedal.
It's supposedly a clone of the Ross compressor that trey uses, when I bought it I was told it was, then I found some info that led me to believe it wasn't but then I recently read something else that says that it is. So idk if it is an Ross clone but it does exactly what I want it to.
It has the simple controls just a volume and a sustain knob.
But it also has an internal trim pot that must be set for sustain if you want to use it as a boost/sustain pedal as opposed to a true compressor. That's why there's mixed reviews on that pedal bc people don't know about the internal trim pot.

It will give you sustain for days if used right.
Also a very quality pedal I've had it for like 12 years & it still works perfect
 #129297  by Smolder

I've had a bunch of compressors and though right now I'm using a DIY orange squeezer, the best of them all was a two knob keeley (wish I hadn't sold it)... but then I'm not looking for any chicken picked sustain. I have an xotic SP, but haven't figured out how to dial it in.
 #129308  by ccw3432

I'm using a Analogman mini Bi-comp. It's a Ross clone and an Orange Squeezer clone in one pedal. I like both compressors for different applications. I don't like either for playing Jerry stuff though. The really kill your ability to express through dynamics which is a big part of Jerry's playing. The more sustain you get out of them the less dynamics unfortunately. I think you'll find that to be true with any compressor. There are certain times when I like that sound and I use them mostly for rhythm playing more in the Bob style.

I have also tried the EH Freeze pedal, which does what it says but I found it difficult to use in a musical way as a sustainer for solos. I use to have a Dyna Comp as well. It's not as sweet as the Ross clones, but it does have some similarities to the Ross.
 #133242  by tatittle

I had a Philosophers Tone awhile back, I sold it fairly quickly. If I recall it REALLY squashes the signal even on the lowest settings. It will definitely give you sustain though, almost infinite even clean. In the process it kinda makes all guitars sound the same. That much squash doesnt allow much personality to come through either ("dynamics")...but depending on technical prowess and rig that could be a benefit I imagine. Not disimilar to a really nice handwired amp compared to a cheap money maker, when a kid plugs into the nice one for the first time they says "wow, I can hear all my mistakes so clearly now".

I have an Electro Harmonix BlackFinger I use fairly often. It has 2 12ax7's (and is an EH) so its footprint is huge. The tubes give it a good boost tone though too, which is how I use it; tad compression and post gain. It has a seperate setting for "squash" heavy compression--I prefer my vintage DynaComp for that stuff though. Yeah Bobby was a big compression user after '74 I believe...its really nice for certain things, not really single note leads though. Its a big part of "studio" sounding stuff too, polishes everything up.