#15977  by jackaroe1276

OK, I've realized all of my pedal reviews for what I use are very one sided since I like them so much, so I decided I'll post one for a pedal that I just am not a big fan of:

EH Polychorus. This pedal actually has 4 functions-chorus, flange, filter matrix, and double track. I bought this pedal because I wanted a really nice chorus sound and someone recommended it to me. I've heard tracks of it and it absolutely can get a really great chorus tone. The problem? Good luck dialing it in!! EH is know for setting up their pedals to allow you to go beyond the ridiculous in getting weird/cool new sounds. That's great, but because the spectrum is so much wider, the controls become so much more difficult to dial in. For example, if you dial the rate knob beyond 3 then it's already warbling so fast you could get seasick. Optimal nice sounds lie right around 2, but good luck trying to dial that in a finite move left or right with any knob is an extremely drastic change. Try using that when you're gigging!.

Filter Matrix-It's really designed to sound like a wah left in various positions. It has usefulness, just not my cup of tea. All the way up it will oscillate, creating it's own loud pitch that you can cut through with the guitar. All the way down it's like leaving your wah pedal engaged and rocked back all the way.

Double Track-Meant to be a slap delay ala country style. To me it sounds more like messy reverb. If you have a good delay pedal you'll never use this feature.

Flange-AHA!! This is ironically where this pedal shines. It has the capability to go nuts and sound like aerplanes are flying over head, but it also has just that right "barely there" flange that quite honestly sounds gorgeous!

Overall I would never buy this pedal again to be honest, I'll probably look into the Analogman BiChorus. For those that really want some spaced out sounds, the polychorus is for you. For those who want a great sounding chorus that is easy to gig with, look elsewhere.

#15997  by shakedown_04092

I have a Visual Sound H20 Liquid chorus/delay pedal and it's the best chorus I've ever played. Awesome sound, and I can really dial in that nice "Crazy Fingers" tone, I love it.

Anybody ever use this model? If not, I recommend it strongly.

http://www.visualsound.net/Pedal_h2o.htm

#16005  by strumminsix

Had a Boss Chorus years back and decided it really didn't work in too many applications and let it go and never missed it. In fact forgot I even owned one.

IMO, chorus too often sounds fake and cheezy.

However, there are some high-end choruses that have a certain vibe appeal to them that have caught my interest...

#16015  by BigJilm

I have a Behringer Chorus. I pretty much put every knob right in the middle and it sounds great, but sumtimes i like to turn the rate and depth all the way up n it sounds real fuckin weird, fun to play around with.

#16017  by tigerstrat

Not into chorus myself (for playing Garcia's parts), but my coworkers are way impressed by the Fulltone Choralflange

#16036  by strumminsix

tigerstrat wrote:my coworkers are way impressed by the Fulltone Choralflange
This is one that piqued my interest for an effect I do not like.
 #129081  by pablomago

I have a Boss CE-2 and Digital Dimension 2. I can't imgaine better chorus pedals for the music I play. As usual, YMMV.
 #129093  by cmc64

I almost never use chorus but if I do need it for something my TC Electronic Flashback Delay when set to "Tape" with the the delay and feedback set a 0 and using the mix knob for volume does a pretty good job.