#122762  by Jerry1996x
 Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:55 pm
Ive been digging Treys tone lately so I want to make a line splitter to go from my JG-1 to my Marshall with celestions. What would I have to do differently? Heavier guage wire?
 #122834  by Jerry1996x
 Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:42 pm
Let me update this question....

I want to be able to use a line splitter to go between 2 cabs. The way I guess i would have to do this is to run the cable from the Mac terminals into it and have the other 2 jacks going to the cabs. Would this even work in the first place?

Any opinions would be very appreciated....
 #122840  by waldo041
 Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:08 pm
unless you want to be able to switch between the 2 cabs, you can use both cabs together by doing the math for the overall ohm load with both cabs combined, and then just use the proper tap on the mac accordingly. no need for a seperate splitter box.

if you want to switch between cabs, i would look for a used one f these or something similiar.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Radial-Engi ... 1124774.gc

 #122841  by Jerry1996x
 Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:22 pm
Thanks Waldo. I do want to switch between cabs so that looks like a good alternative. I thought it was probably not as simple as i thought :D
 #122937  by tigerstrat
 Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:31 pm
definitely use something like the Radial Eng. unit waldo mentioned. Switching cabs on a single amp using a simple jacks-and-a switch device can result in sharp fluctuations to the amp's speaker load (i.e. brief moments of possibly NO load which as we should all know can be deadly for tube amps).
 #122957  by tigerstrat
 Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:07 pm
This is the only one I'm familiar with. Most guys tend to switch between amps (& their associated speakers), not the cabs themselves! Still, it would be a LOT of fun to play around with. Could almost be considered essential for A/B testing of speaker/cab setups on the same amp...
To ensure safe, stable amplifier operation and smooth transitions, a timer IC manages a ramped connection overlap. This ensures constant load on the output, a major concern with tube amplifiers. As a further safety measure, the Cab-Bone incorporates a power-off feature called SafeMode which automatically diverts the input signal to output-1 if the power supply is ever disconnected or turned off by mistake.
 #123923  by zoooombiex
 Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:43 am
The radial unit is great - used it for years without a problem.

I think you can build a simple a/b box, but you need a make-before-break switch. An engineer over on TGP build one a while back IIRC.

I'd just go with the radial, especially if you can find one used. It'd be easy to wire up a cable to go from the open terminals on the mac to a 1/4 cable into the radial.
 #123931  by gpilcher2001
 Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:11 am
Some things they got you over the barrel on. Its one of those electronics things that no one has a clone or byo kit on. Thus the delima of I should have gone to electronics school instead of..... As simillar to the attenuator thing. Really pricey unit for a resistor on a dial. As far as I'm concerned my gear is to precious to attempt certain builds and those would be the two I would leave up to the pros.