Chat about Equipment Info
 #12068  by kcsnickers

I have been trying to "learn" shakedown for awhile but I am getting stuck with the chord progressions.

The video i am learniing from shows an Em chord 3rd position, and i cant get the fingering right and also a G7 in the 3rd position which i cant seem to get right as well.

Is there an easier way?

#12071  by amyjared

Shakedown is tough. You don't mention whether you're trying it acoustic or electric, or in a band or solo? Also, if you're using the Legendary Licks DVD, that is one of the best ways to learn as he slows it down. You can play the Em and G7 in the open position, but won't sound as good. I suggest either practicing the correct fingerings and chords, or working on the rhythm using open chords and when you have that down, moving toward the other chords. If you can't see what the fingerings are, use one of those "chord finder" programs, or ask at this forum for how to finger them. For Em at the third fret, you can just move a Dm fingering up two frets. Hope this helps.

#12073  by strumminsix

Em? G7? Where are you playing these in the song?
Where are you playing these on the neck?

#12078  by kcsnickers

the chorus.

third position

#12080  by strumminsix

The chorus is a C7 for the whole thing???

#12082  by BlobWeird

Alright Ill help with what I know. Or rather not what I know but what works for me (might not be 100%). Let me just state that if you dont already have it then buy the Legendary Licks DVD as it does a good job for shakedown.

Now im gonna go by the tabs presented on here.

The intro I play Jerry's part so I dont know about the Dm C/D Dm.

Verse:

G=355433 I usually play this without the low root note.

Then right below that chord youll find your C which I do not play with the G root note.

C=x35553 I usually dont bar the 3rd fret so I dont get the High E. to ring

Then you take that and move it down 2 frets and do the same thing

F=133211

It says C9 for the end of Verse but I use a Bb

Bb=x13331

Then for the "maybe the dark is from your eyes part

Fmaj7=x-8-10-9-10-8

Em7=x79787 You can get away with an Em as you stated if you really wanted but the 7 gives it a better sound IMO. Then when you come to the Dm7 just walk it down Em7 Ebm7 Dm7

Then you come to the G which again is 355433

Now the chorus says C7sus4 to C7. I just play a C7 with some funky strumming then do a little Jerry lick

E|--------0--------0--------0---------------------
B|--------1--------1--------1---------------------
G|--------3--------3--------3---------------------
D|--------2--------2--------2---------------------
A|--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--1h3--3--3p1--------
E|------------------------------------------3-----

As for the C7 in there only being showed once as I said I use some funky strumming in there and didnt know how to tab it so you can figure that much out I suppose. And that pretty much covers it.

As for scales to the song im still clueless for the most part to that myself. For the Dm use D Dorian. For the Em7 use E Dorian?. The Fmaj7 part I really do not know. Any help with that guys? And for the verse jam G no idea once again could use some help? And the chorus jam I use C blues with a little Mixolydian here and there. That about covers it. Good luck!

#12089  by tigerstrat

"It says C9 for the end of Verse but I use a Bb

Bb=x13331 "

Bbmaj= 1Bb,3D,5F
vs
C9= 1C,3E,m7Bb,9D,5G

at least you got the 9 and m7 in there.

#12091  by kcsnickers

thanks

whats the fingering for the c7 overthere?

#12092  by BlobWeird

hey Tigerstrat you are obviously way more versed than I so is the C9 the better of the 2 to use? I always just followed the same pattern that I use on the G to C so i figured F to Bb ya know?

#12093  by strumminsix

BlobWeird wrote:hey Tigerstrat you are obviously way more versed than I so is the C9 the better of the 2 to use? I always just followed the same pattern that I use on the G to C so i figured F to Bb ya know?
C9 is the chord to use. It brings a funky bluesy feel to it!

#12095  by BlobWeird

the fingering for C7 in the open position would be usin your ring for the A string, middle for the D string, pinky for the G string and index for the B string. Or you could play it 8-10-8-9-8-8 and the fingering would be index barred across 8th fret ring finger on A string, and middle finger on G string. Hope this helps.

#12096  by BlobWeird

Thanks strummin I never tried a C9 there but Ill have to give it a shot now. So any help with scales for the song?

#12416  by jahozer

The middle scale is C maj, with what ever modes you want for your phrazing,
and C pentatonic or blues scale for the jam at the end over C7.
And definately use the C9. It is a bit of a sinonym (sp?) with Bb, but as Tiger says, it gives you that funky shiny sound. 9ths are a must for anything remotely funky. Plus you will clash with the bass if you play the Bb in the bass of your chord as he is hitting that C. Yes it can be considered a minor 7th, but that playing that close in octaves makes the ear hear it as a second...kinda gross and dissonant.
A ninth can be is also the same as a second, but it sounds good because it is more than an octave apart, and the ear allows it a bit more.
sorry for the theory rant.