#120827  by Yankee Tim

Looking to buy an all tube 6L6/12AX7 amp head, for around $300-400.

Found the Randall RT50H and the Bugera V55HD. Any opinions on either? And other amps in that range worth me looking at?

Thanks all.
 #120878  by easytoslip

http://www.amazon.com/Bugera-V5-Class-A ... bugera+amp
I plug my Les Paul standard into this little amp at home and love it. The person who recommended that I buy it initially, says it's even better if you switch out the tubes for ones of higher quality, but it sounds great to me with the stock tubes. there are like 35 reviews on this amp at that amazon link i posted
 #120901  by FretfulDave

Yankee Tim wrote:I'm assuming the 55w head version would be similar tone?
No, this won't be the case. The little Bugera is a 5 watt class "A" tube amp and the larger, 55 watt one, as are most talked about on this board, is a class "A/B" amp. They operate differently from an electrical standpoint and have very different sound and response characteristics.
easytoslip wrote: ... The person who recommended that I buy it initially, says it's even better if you switch out the tubes for ones of higher quality, but it sounds great to me with the stock tubes ...
Since you are looking for an inexpensive amp at that wattage, you could go with the Bugera V55 and play with tubes, remembering that you can plug and play with preamp tubes but it you change the 6L6 power tubes, the amp's power section will likely need to be re-biased.

I would not expect it to sound like a Fender Twin but you might get kinda in the ballpark with enough juggling of tube types and brands.

So depends on what your goal is.

Good luck.

Dave
 #120910  by tigerstrat

Search for vintage Fender on your local Craigslist. Perfect example would be a listing for Fender 75 head for $375 that I just found in my area. Or Traynor or Mesa...
 #120916  by Pete B.

tigerstrat wrote:... Perfect example would be a listing for Fender 75 head for $375 that I just found in my area...
There's an interesting SF Twin Reverb in a pretty nice home-made Head at Centuar Guitar here in Portland... for $450.
There is a matching 2x12 cab there too (for $150)... but it didn't come out as nice as the head.
 #120968  by wisedyes

Check out the Traynor Custom Valve 40 or the Peavey Classic 50, both very nice, well built, "classic" sounding amps. Another one that you could probably find in that price range used is the Carvin Bel Air.
 #121594  by Yankee Tim

Couldn't help myself. On black Friday, my wife ordered the Randall 50w head. It was $229 shipped. So I'll play with this and see what I can get out of it. Reviews say the clean channel is super clean. The gain channel lacks the hi-gain that Randall is famous for. That's perfectly fine with me as its the clean I'm after. Its got 6L6's and 12ax7's and on-board easy tube biasing, and I got a box of NOS tubes to fool around with.

I will report up how it sounds after the jolly fat guy drops it under the tree. It will be married to 2 D120s in a TRM cab.