#112500  by gr8fl4295

Can someone explain, in layman's terms, what the big difference is, if any, from (alternative JBL e120) Beyma Liberty 12" speakers and the stock speakers that are in a '65 re-issue Twin Reverb amp (2-12" Jensen® C12K, 8 Ohm Speakers with Ceramic Magnets)?

Also, while we are on the subject of this re-issue amp, what else needs to be done to it to get a tastey Garcia tone?
 #112505  by Smolder

Jensens typically break up sooner... That part of their charm. They also don't have he same crisp, dry delivery that the JBL's do. JBL's are otherwise a fairly neutral speaker. I know nothing about the Beyma's... Never had he pleasure of hearing or trying them.

The 65 reissue is a printed circuit board, which is not better or worse by design, but harder to work on. I've not worked on one of these, but some PSB's have very thin tracing (JTM30 fo instance) that is easy to screw up.

For specific of applying the standard mods to the RI this thread will get you started...

forum/viewtopic.php?f=309&t=8265
Last edited by Smolder on Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #112508  by gr8fullfred

Here is the difference between the stock speakers in a vintage twin reverb and JBLs. I am not sure what speakers are in the TRRI.

In layman's terms:

The stock speakers in a Twin were basically POS (Piece Of Shit) speakers. Probably Jensens at the time. People seemed to like them, because they "broke up nice". Stamped sheet metal frames, relatively small magnets, smallish voice coils. El Cheapo.

JBLs on the hand (D120s, K120s, E120s, and pretty much any JBL speaker) are simply the best speakers ever made. Rigid cast metal frames, massive magnets, patented flat wound aluminum voice coils, and high quality materials and construction. All this cost mucho moola, but worth it.

Got it?