#105795  by Capt Rosebuddy

I know it's apples and oranges, but I'm kinda thinking about going hi gain closed back for my orig. band rig. I've always played fender open back combo amps, and used pedals for OD, the idea of just rolling off the volume to clean up is pretty appealing, and in addition, behind Garcia I pretty much think Jimmy Page walks on water. thoughts?
 #105800  by Tennessee Jedi

Hey Captain
If you are talking Marshall cabs and amps I have seen the guy from Splintered playing through a Marshal head and cab with a stock looking SG.
And sound awesome !
-Tom
 #105804  by KCJones

Heck, you don't need to have separet apples and oranges to achieve what your after. Not in the amp, or the cab. There are pleanty of high gain amps nowadays that have beautiful fender-like (if not better) clean tones. Look no further than say Jimmy Herring's rig... Open back Hard Trucker cabs and Fuchs amps. I myself play a Fuchs ODS 50 head thru a Tone Tubby cab. The combo blows away my Mesa Boogie Mark IV in the high gain category, and simply outshines my fender twin in the clean bell-like category. There's other's I'm sure. You just gotta poke around.
 #105813  by Capt Rosebuddy

Yea I got rid of my mark IV over the summer, it was just too much to dial in a good sound, plus again I really like the over drive tone I was achieving using my modded TS9. The Plexi head and closed back cab really is something, very punchy and responsive not to mention all the volume one would ever need. however like anything else in the high end music wold very, very expensive. dunno what I'm gonna do just yet.
 #105819  by tcsned

I had a mid 80s JCM 800 and a 4x10 slant cab that I sold this past summer. It was one helluva amp, I wish I still had it but needed a new rig for my Dead band and I was informed by my better half that if I bought anything new something had to be sold to pay for it. Man, it really had that classic Marshall sound, perhaps more Angus Young than Jimmy Page but my Les Paul really nailed that sound. I used it a couple of times wit my Dead band and for a few theater projects but had to a/b it with the twin for a clean tone. If you love Jimmy Page I say go for it!
 #105846  by tigerstrat

The ultimate Jimmy Page sound for me is the open-back Supro Coronado and a Telecaster! I believe LZ's first U.S. tour was on a Super Beatle though, and that is closed back. :cool: