#97673  by Rusty the Scoob

I'd say it's pretty well documented given that he only played it for about a year. One of the commercial video releases has it, Dead Ahead, I think? Something from RCMH in 1980 IIRC. I only have it on VHS so I haven't seen in in a while.
 #97890  by gr8fullfred

Unlike Jerry, Phil has played alot of basses. Seems he almost always has a new bass and changes instruments frequently.
Phil's Irwin was a 4 string bass, he has played 5 and 6 string basses. Phil is apparently always searching for the sound.
JMHO
 #97897  by Rusty the Scoob

Phil switched from the irwin to a couple of 4-stringers - a J-bass with the pickguard and finish removed, and then a G&L, I believe an L2000, before getting on the Modulus 6 string kick that he's still on.

I believe the Irwin got shelved because he just wasn't crazy about the sound. Personally I agree with him on that.... although it really does look nice!
 #97921  by Grant

gr8fullfred wrote:Unlike Jerry, Phil has played alot of basses. Seems he almost always has a new bass and changes instruments frequently.
Phil's Irwin was a 4 string bass, he has played 5 and 6 string basses. Phil is apparently always searching for the sound.
JMHO
With the exeption of the 80s, jerry changed guitars very frequently
 #97923  by gr8fullfred

I am going to disagree with that quote. Jerry played a bunch of different guitars in the early days. But once Irwin delivered Wolf, Jerry played his three Irwin guitars from 1973 thru the early 90s,Until Cripes delivered Bolt. Jerry played Tiger for 11 straight years. Not a very frequent changing of the guard at all. Jerry talks about not liking changing guitars or even the setup on the guitars.
 #97988  by jenkins

Your forgetting about 76-77 when Jerry used his Travis beans. & if I'm not mistaken he actually used several beans in those 2 years, 3 , or 3 setups I can think of. The 500, the 1000 & then the 1000 fit with his first obel & buffer.
Then 78 wolf came back with the dimarzios & from then on he really didn't change guitars very much at all. In the 90's he went through a few tho
 #103889  by ndrewoods

gr8fullfred wrote:
I am going to disagree with that quote. Jerry played a bunch of different guitars in the early days. But once Irwin delivered Wolf, Jerry played his three Irwin guitars from 1973 thru the early 90s,Until Cripes delivered Bolt. Jerry played Tiger for 11 straight years. Not a very frequent changing of the guard at all. Jerry talks about not liking changing how to play guitar or even the setup on the guitars.
I would totally agree with you. He changes guitars but not frequently. And I also remembered that, as much as possible, he doesn't want to really change his guitars all the time.
Last edited by ndrewoods on Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #103904  by tigerstrat

ndrewoods wrote:
gr8fullfred wrote:
I am going to disagree with that quote. Jerry played a bunch of different guitars in the early days. But once Irwin delivered Wolf, Jerry played his three Irwin guitars from 1973 thru the early 90s,Until Cripes delivered Bolt. Jerry played Tiger for 11 straight years. Not a very frequent changing of the guard at all. Jerry talks about not liking changing guitars or even the setup on the guitars.
I would totally agree with you. He changes guitars but not frequently. And I also remembered that, as much as possible, he doesn't want to really change his guitars all the time.
I'm going to agree with the original quote.

Check it: Not until he first laid hands on Tiger in 1979 did he stick with the same guitar for a period of more than 2 years.
 #104625  by Rusty the Scoob

Wolf changed pretty drastically... same body and neck, but there are lots of differences from version 1.0 to 2.0, with about a year of Travis Beans in the middle of the two main Wolf eras.
 #104693  by Phil Lesh101

Oh... Tiger is my favorite Garcia guitar, mostley because he used it from 80-90 my favorite years 8)