Musical Theory Abound!!!
 #100829  by lunasparks

FYI - I stumbled on this guy via his Youtube page. I bought a couple of his lessons to test out: download gets you a video, a backing track, and some tab (but not all of the lessons are tabbed, just a few highlights). He seems to have a good feel for Jerry style (I can't comment on the Weir stuff). I think he moves through things a little fast, at least for me, but with a little slowing down of the videos I've picked up some good ideas & concepts.

Anyway, I'm not affiliated in any way but thought others might be interested.

http://www.gratefulguitarlessons.com/
 #100832  by Grateful Dad

This dude is good. He has a good ear for the subtle stuff Jerry does.

He has a couple of vids on youtube that demonstrate Jerry's licks for Don't Ease, Aiko, and Catfish John.

I'm going to try one of the lessons out and if it is anything like the youtube vids, they will be well worth it.

:smile:
 #100836  by Tennessee Jedi

I love the lessons - just enough music theory to get me thinking .... and not so much that it gets boring
I think they are done well for the most part - they are in that traditional guitar instruction format of a headless body with views of the hands -the backing tracks are fun - about 4.00 + minutes of bass drums and guitar - something to remember is that they are lessons for soloing on a particular tune and not full song transcriptions. Just solo's.
The lessons are about 15-20 minutes or so. He plays the solo then dissects it. I'm getting a lot of good tips on Jerry style bends.
The dude has a great feel for Jerry's playing and I think he really conveys the essential ingredients of it in a thoughtful way.
:-)
Last edited by Tennessee Jedi on Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #100837  by vwjodyme

I've been thinking of buying one so thanks for the review.
He has been on youtube for awhile under the name sparkomatic (not sure if he's here too) giving GD lessons and posting vids of girls in bikinis washing jeeps :lol:
 #100838  by Tennessee Jedi

vwjodyme wrote: and posting vids of girls in bikinis washing jeeps :lol:
After doing his lessons I sometimes watch the Jeep Girl vids - he does cool Jerry style soundtracks for some of them
He also likes rabbits.
:smile:
 #102558  by oldjoebones

He has a lot of new stuff coming out it just takes time to get it done. I know this because I go to him once a week and learn all of the Bobby stuff from him........yes he is my teacher.

Stay tuned for more. :)
Last edited by oldjoebones on Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #102564  by vwjodyme

I actually bought one of the Jerry ones, and for me it moves a little fast...maybe i should have waited for a slower song.
he kind of jumps around a lot, like will start talking about chord shapes and scales being used while I am still trying to figure out what notes he just played. he does slow down and repeat some of the harder licks, but kind of skips over the smaller, shorter ones. also the tabs are just some of the harder licks and some scales...not the solo tabs. i figured for me to learn correctly i needed the whole tabs to reference while watching him so i tabbed it myself while rewinding his lesson a million times.

things for me that would be more helpful if he did:
tab out the solo so i can follow along
show every lick note for note
do a couple of those "so far we have this" and start at the beginning to where ever we are at that point
do a half speed solo with backing track at the end

my 2 cents :smile:

*edit
just to be clear I did learn a lot and look forward to purchasing Althea when it comes out :cool:
 #103636  by Keith Z

I grew up with Seth and went to middle and high school with him. I can vouch for the guy and say he is the real deal.
He was always a really talented guitar player and he always had a great ear and could play anything that he listened to. That said, I always thought he would make it professionally because of his ability. He was also one of the most intelligent and funny people I have ever met and I wish him success in his endeavors. He won't steer you wrong with his talents.
 #104715  by ImJerryToo

I tried to purchase his Jerry Shakedown lesson... and somehow ended up with Franklin's Tower.

It was probably my bad, and I know for sure I didn't review it carefully as I clicked through Paypal. But it could have been an issue with his site, so just be careful to make sure what is in your cart is the lesson you are after.

The Franklin's seems pretty good but I actually haven't spent much time with it. Gonna go back and get that Shakedown sometime soon.
 #104716  by gr8fullfred

I picked up the "Deal" solo lesson, looked at it once so far and I give it the thumbs up for sure.

I hope to plow through it this weekend. I think that if you are serious about learning Jerry's style, Deal is a must.

Worth the 9 bucks, easy, immediate delivery, :-) Thanks Seth
 #105274  by ImJerryToo

OK, decided I was feeling OK with Shakedown, and decided to get both of his Jerry Sugaree lessons (one is "melodic" and one is "triplets and shred").

Good god! They are tremendous. A few thoughts...

1 - Crap. I thought I was getting pretty good at Jerry, both technically and theory-wise. Watching and listening to Seth is a slap in the face on how far I still have to go! :?

2- But its good! All part of the journey. And if I spend the time and really dig in on these lessons, man o man it is seriously going to elevate my JG skills.

Four thumbs up.
 #106116  by ndrewoods

lunasparks wrote:FYI - I stumbled on this guy via his Youtube page. I bought a couple of his guitar lessons to test out: download gets you a video, a backing track, and some tab (but not all of the lessons are tabbed, just a few highlights). He seems to have a good feel for Jerry style (I can't comment on the Weir stuff). I think he moves through things a little fast, at least for me, but with a little slowing down of the videos I've picked up some good ideas & concepts.

Anyway, I'm not affiliated in any way but thought others might be interested.

http://www.gratefulguitarlessons.com/
Hey, thanks for sharing this. I saw some of his videos on youtube but I didn't take it seriously. But man, he really is good. Now I would be buying lessons cause I'm sure you guys would suggest or recommend him.
Last edited by ndrewoods on Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.