#2859  by Isaacsmonkeywrench

is Good Morning Little Schoolgirl actually an original dead song? I'm pretty sure it isn't, but if so, could anybody tell me who it is by originally?

thanks

#2870  by mutant_dan

http://www3.clearlight.com/~acsa/introj ... ODMORN.HTM

Some have suggested that Pigpen was influenced by a version by Andrew "Smokey" Hogg in 1950, under the title "Little School Girl." That's possible, though the extracts from that recording that I've heard sound much closer to Sonny Boy Williamson's version than to Pigpen's. Another possibility is that Pigpen learnt it from a Muddy Waters' version.

The Yardbirds recorded a rather different version in the 1960s (subsequently re-released on various Eric Clapton compilations). This was originally credited to "H G Demarais" - but I suspect that was an invented name. Later re-issues credit the song to Sonny Boy Williamson, and I've not found any other references to Demarais.
 #97017  by jolietbound

Check out the Junior Wells album Hoodoo Man Blues which came out in 1966. The version sung by Wells is very similar in riff and phrasing. Pigpen added his usual little bits to it and the Dead would jam with it and stretch the structure. As for origins these are old songs the author is just someone who first recorded it or thought to copyright it.
 #97024  by tcsned

This is an old tune - I think Sonny Boy Williamson did the earliest popular recording back in the 40s - it has been recorded by a bunch of folks - I kinda like Ten Years After's version too. Pigpen did his own thing with it but the lyrics and tune are essentially the same as all the others.

#97058  by ugly rumor

Tom is correct... but not specific enough. It was the first Sonny Boy Williamson, who recorded it for Bluebird in about 1938.
 #97060  by ugly rumor

Damn!! After watching the video, i've definately got to refine my bass technique! I was remembering the version on "A Space In Time", which was much more refined. And was that Barbra Streisand covering up? Priceless video!
 #97070  by tcsned

ugly rumor wrote:Tom is correct... but not specific enough. It was the first Sonny Boy Williamson, who recorded it for Bluebird in about 1938.
Sonny Boy I not II - Forgot about that one :-)
 #97094  by jolietbound

1937 on Bluebird (RCA) but who knows where SB 1 first heard it. I doubt it was completely original to him. Maybe someone knows if an earlier performance history is mentioned for this song prior to 1937?

Re the GD version I thought Demarais was some executive at Chess Records. Again copyright on these old songs is almost random. The performers at that time had no idea about the Library of Congress or the Copyright Office. Some person or the record company later would just write down a piano version with the lyrics and file a claim on a song they thought they could use to extract money from someone.
 #97100  by tcsned

jolietbound wrote:1937 on Bluebird (RCA) but who knows where SB 1 first heard it. I doubt it was completely original to him. Maybe someone knows if an earlier performance history is mentioned for this song prior to 1937?

Re the GD version I thought Demarais was some executive at Chess Records. Again copyright on these old songs is almost random. The performers at that time had no idea about the Library of Congress or the Copyright Office. Some person or the record company later would just write down a piano version with the lyrics and file a claim on a song they thought they could use to extract money from someone.
It's almost certainly not original to Sonny Boy I
 #97106  by ugly rumor

jolietbound wrote:1937 on Bluebird (RCA) but who knows where SB 1 first heard it. I doubt it was completely original to him. Maybe someone knows if an earlier performance history is mentioned for this song prior to 1937?

Probably true. The money in the music business is in songwriting. One of the most interesting examples of a cheesy attempt to capitalize on this was Jon and Sally Tiven, New york songwriters who had the idea of resurrecting long-out-of-circulation artists, such as Wilson Pickett, Solomon Burke, maybe others I am unaware of, and inducing them to make records of songs credited to the Tivens. Probably made them a few bucks! But the tradition is long of recording songs and taking songwriter's credits, sometimes just by changing a line or two. Look at Bobby Rush's song catalogue; credit for many familiar tunes, sometimes the song, sometimes the title of an old song with new lyrics. Also, listen to the Beatles introduction to "Revolution", copied directly from a Pee Wee Crayton song from the early '50s, which in turn was copied directly from a Buddy Moss song, actually used twice by him, from the late '30s. I would have to find the titles of those songs, but will if anyone says they want to know.
 #97113  by amyjared

I always loved Ten Year's After's version the best, as it was one of the first versions of this song I ever heard. I even have a nice tab of TYA's version, if anyone is interested. Of course, seeing the boys play this w/Santana at Calveras was also a highlight.
 #97114  by tcsned

amyjared wrote:I always loved Ten Year's After's version the best, as it was one of the first versions of this song I ever heard. I even have a nice tab of TYA's version, if anyone is interested. Of course, seeing the boys play this w/Santana at Calveras was also a highlight.
Alvin Lee can flat out play. He's always been a favorite - I really wanted an ES335 in high school because of him.
Last edited by tcsned on Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #97136  by ugly rumor

At this point I need to disclaim. I am NOT the Rick Mullen who played bass for Alvin Lee after Ten Years After. Nor am I the Rick Mullen who played bass for Commander Cody during the '90s. But they both have a good name!! (And are better players than I.) :peas:
 #97138  by amyjared

I am NOT the Rick Mullen who played bass for Alvin Lee after Ten Years After
I thought Leo Lyons was their bass player? I saw Alvin open for zz top in Greensboro in '80 or '81 and he blew everyone away. He usually prefaces Good Morning Little Schoolgirl by rubbing his guitar along the mic stand and then launching into it! Such a great guitarist and so under the radar, even after that Woodstock performance.
 #97140  by ugly rumor

Leo Lyons was the bass player for Ten Years After. Afterwards, Alvin Lee did some solo work, and Rick Mullen, currently in Nashville, was his bassist. (Rick Mullen of Commander Cody lives in Saratoga, New York area.)
I have not forgotten your Paris show. My computer crashed between discs (I have one ready), and the guy I let have the discs to copy thought I gave them to him, and has since moved. I'll get in touch with him and get on schedule. Thanks for your patience!