#25752  by gratephulphish123

the studio version of friend has always been one of my favorite dead songs, but everytime they do it live they do a slow relaxed version. i love the studio version but the live one never really does anything for me. which one do you guys prefer?

#25755  by frankielee

The studio version fy far...it might be my imagination but it seemed to have gotten slower and slower as the yrs. passed...It might be i grew weary of it moving at a snails pace.

#25761  by BuddhaG

they used to do the more uptempo version in the early 70's. it was done acoustic and electric at that faster tempo. i don't have any dates but i've come across some versions on the archive from 70-72 that are quick and awesome.

like jerry and hunter said, the closest they ever came to writing a classic song was FOTD, and the studio version is picture perfect. but its been a while since i've listend to studio dead...

but yeah, find the early 70's electric versions, so good.

#25762  by Stagger Lee

i love the slow versions from 77 and 78

#25763  by razmablues

i think for their overall vibe of live shows the slower version did more justice and allowed for much more improvisation than the fast version would have. just my two cents :smile:

#25766  by tigerstrat

10/19/74 = final "fast" FOTD
8/04/76 = first "slow" FOTD (which I greatly prefer)

#25779  by caspersvapors

I only prefer the slow when done acoustically, I like the fast one better most of the time

#25781  by Pigpen

nicolasalk wrote:05/05/82 JGB at Oregon Prison is perfect
Love that whole tape. Any idea on his guitar on it? Takamine I think, not positive

#25782  by frankielee

DP36 has a nice quick electric version

#25788  by warrenMFKNhaynes

I think there all good, but my favorite is Garcia/grizman. acoustic slow tempo, jerrys older voice

#25789  by nicolasalk

Pigpen wrote:
nicolasalk wrote:05/05/82 JGB at Oregon Prison is perfect
Love that whole tape. Any idea on his guitar on it? Takamine I think, not positive
mmm... don't know, is there any footage of that show??

#25792  by Rev_Roach

SLOW, no question

and I second warren, the one on gateul dawg especially is great

#25801  by tigerstrat

My favorite fast version is "Encore/ Friend Of The Devil" on The Spin Junkies' Jay-Z's Dead "...what the hell you waiting forrrr??"