#27041  by kenneybonz

after reading those notes? that looks like the way a lot of fluid guitar players play the arrpeggios (sp?)
is that what a lot of y'all use, the C A G E D system?
:smile:
 #27042  by Billbbill

kenneybonz wrote:after reading those notes? that looks like the way a lot of fluid guitar players play the arrpeggios (sp?)
is that what a lot of y'all use, the C A G E D system?
:smile:
I kinda stumbled across the caged system w/o really being aware of it. If you strive to learn the fret board & all the ways notes, chords and scales manifest on it, then look for consolidation or economy of movement, you can't help but play portions of the caged system. I try not to hem myself in with any one approach so I'm often thinking outside of the - well a - cage, and keep looking at new ways to approach ideas.

That's not to say that caged is not valuable - it is, I just continually look for fresh stuff.

Remember that the caged system manifests up and down the neck. A progression, say A-G-D will have different caged forms from the end of the neck up to the 12th fret and then repeat. Learn the positions and then you'll learn to move from one to another, to use your word, with fluidity.

My 2 cent.

#27773  by bodiddley

I'm still not exactly sure what JDarks is doing on that D chord with the hammer-ons or fingering for the riff he plays.

#27818  by Billbbill

alright bo here's what he seems to be up to

first he's just hammering while barring the 7th fret with his index finger

e-----------
b--7---------
g--7----7-----
d--7----7-----
a--7-h9--------
E-----------

Then he's adding a pulloff lick
using his pinky and ring finger

e-----------
b--7---------
g--7---------
d--7----7-10po-9po-7--
a--7--h9-------
E-----------

I hope that helps.

#27819  by bodiddley

Thanks a bunch Billbbill. I worked on it for a while last night before I saw this post and wound up coming up with something pretty close to yours. I still appreciate it very much. Thanks.