e--4----------------------------------------0-----0--- 

------------Bm--------------A-------------E-------------------- 
e---------------------------------------------------------------- 
b------------------3--------2--3--2------------------------------ 
g----------------------4----2--2--2--0h1------1--2--0h1------1 
d---------------4--------4----------------2---2--2------2----2 
a-----0--1--2-------2-------0-----0----------------------------- 
e--4----------------------------------------0----0---------0
I play the E and A strings with the flat pick and the B with the ring finger and the G and D with the middle finger.

There are some subtle nuances to this lick that are picked up more easily if you get in tune with a live version and play along. For instance between the E and A chord of the first half of the phase, the 1 on the G and 2 on the D just before the A chord are hit on the downstroke with the middle and ring finger and immediately stopped and hit again on the upstroke just before hitting the A chord.

I play a little bass line that you can hear Jerry play. I have heard versions with alternating bass i.e. B & F# over the Bm and A & E over the A although I am more partial to the above.

Of course as is usually the case Jerry evolved and the lick morphed in subtle ways. The above is a basic starting point from which to begin. Any thoughts please reply.
Last edited by Billbbill on Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#993  by LazyLightnin

i try to throw a little change in here and their everytime i play this. all the versions i have are pretty much the same, but different still-dig it?

Lazy

"Who are the Dead, and why are they following me?" :wink:

#995  by Billbbill

Without a doubt. Even within something as straight forward as this there's a lot of futzin room.

#1080  by gr8fulbluz

yeah i can relate, i luv althea
although, my althea has lot of poorly defined blended notes, cause i am lazy. ..
your intro looks great.

thanks 8)