#13122  by Mark1

Specifically, the song is Genesis by Jorma Kaukonen. I couldn't find a good tab for it on the internet, so I started to make one myself. The key that I'm playing in is G and so far for the intro I start with a G chord shape, then an Em (with the last bass note being a G on the sixth string), then a C shape. So far, all I have is the intro. But judging by other tabs for it, I think it stays in G for most of the song.

But, as I'm sure you know, there are some notes in chord shape that may have to change... for example the one I just mentioned... where I have to add a G on the sixth string to the Em shape. Those are the tougher ones... where the shape will not look like any chord I've ever seen.

Could you clarify what you mean by "scale tendencies"? I'm somewhat new to playing music and I haven't gotten all of the lingo down.

#13384  by Billbbill

Wow forgot about you Mark.

Don't know the tune at all.

Scale tendencies - Just my way of communicating something in an incredibly inefficient manner. In short playing staight and simple, the less is more approach I guess. Playing a line more attuned to harmony or melody. Playing a major or minor accented scale. Both being somewhat more involved.

I guess you ask yourself how do you want it to sound? Now since your talking about a specific tune rather than writing your own, listen to it and feel it out. I think I had the impression from the get go that you were writing something original. My bad.