#171356  by LazyLightning72

Hi folks,

So far I have been using my tablet to record my playing. I have a fairly new laptop that I hardly ever use, and was thinking of ways to connect my rig to it directly, for recording purposes.

What are some “beginner recording” options (if there are any)?

The research I’ve done gets some varied results. I’m thinking an interface is my only option, however I may be wrong.

I guess when it boils down to it, what do I need to get started?
Interface?
Software?
Anything I haven’t thought of?

In case it matters the laptop runs Windows 10

Thanks!
 #171359  by Jon S.

Subscribed (so to speak - if we have that function literally on this forum, I'm not aware of how to do it :biggrin: ).

Several folks I know use Focusrite Scarlett products like this one: https://focusrite.com/en/usb-audio-inte ... arlett-2i2
 #171361  by lbpesq

Early in the pandemic a friend organized regular Zoom open mics. I wanted to plug in an acoustic guitar and a vocal mic. After some research, (including buying and returning a Focusrite Scarlet Solo), I decided a USB mixer was the ticket. After a little more research I got me a new Yamaha MG10XU for a little over $200 on reverb. It’s a great little mixer that plugs directly into your computer.

Bill, tgo

LazyLightning72 liked this
 #171364  by LazyLightning72

Jon S. wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:34 am Subscribed (so to speak - if we have that function literally on this forum, I'm not aware of how to do it :biggrin: ).

Several folks I know use Focusrite Scarlett products like this one: https://focusrite.com/en/usb-audio-inte ... arlett-2i2
You may already know this, but in case you don’t.
Directly under the reply window where it says save draft, preview and submit. There is an option tab under them, check the one that says “Notify me when a reply is posted” before submitting your reply.

HTH
Jon S. liked this
 #171365  by joethepainter

I use a Scarlett 2i2 into a win10 laptop running Reaper as a DAW. Pretty easy setup using YouTube vids as a guide. There’s tons of videos on how to set up an interface with Reaper, or any DAW, really; it’s just that Reaper is what I use. I have amp plug ins as well; Amplitube and Bias FX
I sometimes use a NUX mg300 as an interface into Reaper, in which case I use the modeling and cab ir’s from the mg300.
Lately, I’ve been using GarageBand on an iPad using the Scarlett as an interface, with good results, and very easy to set up and use. But that’s really not germane to this discussion, so I’ll leave it at that.
Anyway, whatever interface and DAW you choose, there will be a learning curve. One thing I like about Reaper is there’s lots of tutorials, videos and a decent forum, which has proven very helpful.
 #171366  by Jon S.

LazyLightning72 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:53 am You may already know this, but in case you don’t.
Directly under the reply window where it says save draft, preview and submit. There is an option tab under them, check the one that says “Notify me when a reply is posted” before submitting your reply.

HTH
I did not know this. Thanks!
 #171368  by lbpesq

NeilG1 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:24 pm Sorry to hijack - Bill I’m curious about your Zoom open mic’s. Were you all playing solo for each other? Or together? I’ve wanted to jam online but had been told most solutions have a bit of lag and it gets really ugly.
Thanks.
Just taking turns. There is way too much latency on Zoom to play together. Even solo, the guitars often sounded like they were under water. Setting for original sound helped. And, as the weeks went by, Zoom seemed to increase sound quality. The mixer allowed me to compress the guitar a little and overall resulted in much improved sound versus just using the little built-in computer mic.

Bill, tgo
 #171416  by joethepainter

Just coming back around to say, if you use a DAW like Reaper, you’ll need to use drum plug ins, like EZ Drummer, or Steven Slate Drums, etc.
GarageBand and Logic have pretty killer drums built in.
Also, that Yamaha mixer Bill posted above outputs a single stereo track, so not ideal for multi track DAW’s, (though you could make it work, it’s not ideal.)
Interfaces are designed with the DAW in mind, with appropriate preamps and converters, not so much with the Yamaha above.
Just saying, not trying to be a dick.
Good luck with your search.
 #171421  by LazyLightning72

joethepainter wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:20 am Just coming back around to say, if you use a DAW like Reaper, you’ll need to use drum plug ins, like EZ Drummer, or Steven Slate Drums, etc.
GarageBand and Logic have pretty killer drums built in.
Also, that Yamaha mixer Bill posted above outputs a single stereo track, so not ideal for multi track DAW’s, (though you could make it work, it’s not ideal.)
Interfaces are designed with the DAW in mind, with appropriate preamps and converters, not so much with the Yamaha above.
Just saying, not trying to be a dick.
Good luck with your search.
I will keep that in mind
Again, thanks everyone
Have a great weekend folks!