#163003  by waldo041
 Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:33 am
Here is a great article in how to achieve the function of using burglar mats as a switch to toggle the Microphone on and off when someone steps on the mat. Usually you can dial in a slight delay at turn off of the mic when someone steps off of the mat, as well as switch for the pad to true bypass that burglar mat switch with the plug pulled out for the mat. I know some have wondered just how Healy got those clean and present vocals, this is a start. Eliminate ALL bleed over of the vocal mics when not in use. levels and eq are set and forgot, and they probably did not need much adjustment. This allowed them to also use Condenser vocal Mics live onstage at that stage volume.

Anyway, this article and design of RG Keens does the trick as well.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/ ... ic-muter-1

~waldo
 #163005  by cripeowner
 Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:02 pm
Would a proximity sensor on the mic stand work? I’m surprised there isn’t a commercial product out there for sale.
 #163011  by playingdead
 Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:59 am
They used a proximity sensor on Brent's vocal microphones, as I recall, and had a lot of trouble dialing it in, but the mat is much simpler.
 #163278  by pablomago
 Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:20 am
There was a commercial proximity mic switcher. I can't remember who made them, but The Doobie Brothers were using them at one point in the last 20 years. The last time I saw them, I don't think they had them. A friend of mine is Pat's guitar tech. I'll do a little digging.
 #164020  by GratefulMets
 Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:59 am
I found these quite a while back while researching this stuff. . Now they list Phil Lesh (and Doobies) among their clients.

http://optogateonline.com

Never got around to trying them. Always have other things I'd rather spend $$ on. But this has to be one of the most underrated and probably underutilized techniques for cleaning up a live mix. I do multitrack recording of my bands live performances and spend tons of time removing all the bleedthtrough from the vocal tracks when mixing down.