#150721  by wleeds

Who here is using a Fender DRRI and what mods have you done to it?
 #150723  by aiq

I have had a 65 RI for a few years now and recently traded a CVR for the 68 RI. I have a D123 in both.

JBL sound without adding the big magnet weight.

Lately been wondering what a TT Purple Haze would sound like in them.

It never ends...
 #150725  by caspersvapors

how does the vintage side of the 68 compare to the 65?
 #150728  by Supplication

I use '65 DRRI on club/bar gigs. Playing in the Weir slot.

I wanted more clean headroom so I put in a Weber California Speaker and some JJ's 6V6's. Paired with a Strat Plus with Lace Sensors in the 2/4 positions it does the Weir clean chime thing for me. Dirt from pedals. Contemplating clipping the bright cap from channel 2. Have been experimenting using a neunaber reverb pedal through channel 1, but I'm a sucker for the tube reverb warmth.
 #150768  by joeriz

I use a DRRI and I've modded it quite a bit, mainly because I love to work on amps. I've replaced both the stock output and power transformers with Allen transformers and I run it with 6L6 tubes instead of 6V6. These two mods turn it into something closer to a 35 watt amp vs. the stock 22 watts. I also run it with a plug-in solid state rectifier and a Jensen Neo 12-100 speaker. Finally, I've modded it so that both channels have reverb and tremolo and I have also added a switch on the back to disconnect the tremolo which adds gain.

I love it...a great little portable, versatile amp with some serious oomph when it needs it. I know some may question why I didn't just buy a different amp. Again, part of it was just the fun (for me) of tinkering with a amps. But also, I'd say that for what I now have in terms of versatility & portability, the amp is somewhat unique. YMMV.

Joe
 #150791  by Bobbyg

I use a stock DRRI as my back-up amp. No mods except swapped the stock speaker with a K-120.........sounds good!
 #150921  by jerrys.kids

I use a DRRI also. not much as far as mods. Dropped a d120 in it and swapped JJ 6v6's, pulled the v1, and put a 5751 in the v2. I dig it. Does the job for my small bar gigs. Volume at 6 seems to put me right in the sweet spot. I am curious if anyone has changed reverb tanks in theirs??
 #156033  by Aram Stith

I've been using a DRRI for about 15 years - bought a blonde one used in 2002 I believe.
right now I have a Jupiter 12" speaker in there and I'm really loving the way it sounds.
I have a parts strat with 2 harmonic design Z-90s and that guitar/amp combo really works!
 #156401  by wleeds

Aram Stith wrote:I've been using a DRRI for about 15 years - bought a blonde one used in 2002 I believe.
right now I have a Jupiter 12" speaker in there and I'm really loving the way it sounds.
I have a parts strat with 2 harmonic design Z-90s and that guitar/amp combo really works!

Which Jupiter speaker do you have in the DRRI? Can you post clips?

thx!