#144600  by PaulJay

Does anyone know what is a good price for this amp in good condition ? Its a silverface with master volume that has 2 pot shafts that are broken, but can still be turned. The owner is asking $900 . I think its too much. Thanks Paul
 #144601  by tatittle

More than I would pay for sure. Its just a head right? That price is closer to a BF Showman (though I don't think they ever had reverb). You can get good deals on those bigger amps (vs. Deluxes, Princetons, Vibrolux etc.) because they are too big for most folks these days (who are looking for cranked tones). I am not familiar with the Showman Rev in particular, but the Master Volume amps are generally the least desirable. I am guessing it isn't the classic AB763 circuit that is so well regarded. The difference between the neatly laid out circuit board of a blackface and late silverfaces is dramatic. More importantly there were usually significant changes to the circuits of bigger Fenders that were not well rec'd. The bottom line is do you like the sound; if you can test it out at volume in settings you will use it most and you love it it may be worth paying more.

You can check ebay (completed listings) for going rates. Remember to add shipping charges to final bids. But that sounds like too much even in mint condition to me, and damage makes it out of the question..for me. But I am not a fan of the later SF amps, at least not compared to BF at similar prices. I could be wrong though, not familiar with the model frankly. Broken pot shafts means it hasn't been babied obviously, but Fenders are hearty animals. I don't think it has much collector value.
Last edited by tatittle on Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #144602  by strumminsix

That's a late 70s amp with a MV. If it were me, I'd offer $500 and settle on $600 max. It needs a trip to a tech and the unknowns are too much. I'd also guess that it needs its caps replaced and trem roach too. If it worked 100%, I'd say $900 is a fair asking price and would pay up to $800. Again, YMMV.
 #144604  by Smolder

Figure $150 if it needs service, another $50-200 if it need tubes. Probably $100 in the other direction if it comes with good NOS tubes.
 #144612  by jackevorkian

I have no idea what they are going for in 2015, but I bought a 68/69 Dual Showman Reverb 6 years ago for $600. I sold it a couple years later for $600. It was a reasonable price when I bought it, and definitely the most the market would seem to bear when I had it up for sale. It was a blackface circuit and sounded phenomenal. Unless these have shot up in value, I can't imagine paying much more than $500 for a 70's MV.
 #144613  by PaulJay

Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'll pass on it. Considering the problem with the pots, there could be other hidden problems too, like leaking caps etc.
 #144615  by tatittle

Just for the record, I wasn't looking closely but I thought I saw a MVol Dual Rev listed as a 1972. I think the biggest Fenders got the MV 1st, though it may have been 73-74 before the Twin had it added. If it were me I would think I would prefer a early SF (68-69) of which I think I saw one sell for less than that offer recently on ebay as well.
 #144660  by czyfingers

I have a 72 DSR that's a master volume model. The MV can easily be undone if desired, and blackface mods easily be done along with a whole array of other mods. But I agree that $900 is too much. I paid $600 for mine in good condition a few years ago and they haven't really gone up in value. If you can find an early 70's silverface at a reasonable price, I wouldn't shy away because of the MV. It's the later 70's silverface twins and showmans that are the 135 watt linear set up, that are not easily modded to the typical desired state if you're after a Jerry type amp.