#82140  by JonnyBoy

I think I remember someone asking about making a guitar out of ancient wood that is super dense and possibly a good tone. I thought about that post when I ran across this advertisement, Looks like someone has even thought of that! Looks cool, kinda like Vic's new build.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Langcaster-guitars- ... 45f36da9aa
 #86392  by unnbrokenchain

Cool. I always love those old wood stories. My buddy has an old Les paul which is allegedly made out of an old wooden ship (shipwreck), no Ron Burgandy pun intended :lol: . And of course there's that other guitar which is made out of old 1800's opium den wood.
 #86410  by tcsned

I've seen that Kauri wood before - I have not heard how they sound though - I would assume that the denser it gets the more it sounds like it was made of rock and not so resonant. My under construction guitar has a 1,100 year old redwood burl top and back from a tree that fell down on some dude's property. There's also been a bunch of guitars built from that wood those folks have been harvesting out of the Great Lakes (can't remember which one). Definitely has cool factor.