#174013  by gmantg70

I had been in the market for a top notch Tiger replica, but really couldn't afford most of them out there. I found out about Robert Rusch and gave him a call. It was a great conversation, his guitars looked amazing and he gave me an amazing quote that I could afford. He said he would be able to deliver the guitar in 10 months. So I sent him the 50% down he required........that was November 2020. As of today, I still do not have the guitar. There has been ZERO communication from Robert about the build unless I contact him first. The last time I reached out to him for an update was October 2022. He said my build was next up, that he would send me photos of the progress, and that he would be able to deliver by November.......It's now mid/late December, still no guitar, and again ZERO communication from Robert. I've thought about canceling the order, but I'm already too far into the process.

I have a phone appointment with Bob at 8West next week to talk about a Rosebud. I've heard so many great things about his guitars and his business practices.

I agree that these guitars are works of art, and that patience is in fact a virtue. I have no doubt that I will be very happy with my Rusch when I finally get it. But I REALLY do not appreciate the lack of communication from the luthier. To be told 10 months, now going on over 2 years with no updates unless I reach out is simply unacceptable. It's rude, un-professional, and unfair. I would be OK if I was initially told 2 years and kept up to date as the 2 year deadline approached. AND I would have ordered that Rosebud from Rusch had the experience/communication been better.....
 #174015  by lbpesq

Q: How many luthiers does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: Just one, but you have to wait six months.

My custom Alembic Further took 2.5 years, which was about two more years than anticipated. Admittedly, a lot of the delay was due to figuring out how to do a particular inlay I wanted that was something they had never done before. But the communication was excellent throughout the process.

Waiting for a custom instrument is like looking for a parking spot in a major city’s downtown area. While you are looking, finding that spot is the first thing on your mind. It takes up a lot of you current energy and impacts everything else you're doing at the moment. But once you find the spot, park, and walk away, you completely forget about the wait and process of parking and get on with your life as if the entire frustrating experience never happened.

Rusch is known for excellent work. While I’ve never bought one of his guitars, I have ordered parts from him for an Alligator build with no problems. I suspect you will have a great guitar when you finally get it. Still, the whole process can be quite frustrating, especially with lack of communication.

Bill, tgo
Last edited by lbpesq on Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #174021  by jalevinemd

I'll echo Bill's sentiments. Some of these guitars take a long time to complete for many reasons and things can happen during the luthier's life that may cause further delay. We all know that shit happens. It's how the builder (or any other business) handles those little hiccups that makes all the difference in the world. For me, communication is key. In this day and age, there's little acceptable reason for not reaching out to a customer. A quick text or email goes a long way towards easing frustration or concern. These instruments are expensive and the deposits often required are not chump change. To leave someone completely in the dark is inexcusable. The saying "no news is good news" is the battle cry of the truly desperate. I'm sorry for the experience you've had thus far. With that having been said, Bob Fishman is one of the nicest and most talented luthiers with whom I've ever dealt. Not only is he a gifted craftsman, but a true gentleman. I've owned/still own guitars from Alembic, Scott Walker, Resurrection and Leo at Scarlet Fire. Bob's woodworking skills are on par with the best of the best. I'm not sure where you live, but if you're interested in trying out one of his creations in person, I've got a Tiger and a Wolf. I'm in the Chicago area and you're always welcome to drop by.
 #174022  by gmantg70

Thank you so much for your feedback, and for the kind offer to play one of your guitars. I am in New Mexico, otherwise I'd take you up on the offer!

You're exactly right, the lack of communication is the sticking point. I'm a business owner and I am religious about my employees and I proactively and clearly communicating with my clients. It's the lifeline of my business (or any other). I have no doubt the instrument will be a work of art, and I am very thankful that there are luthiers out there who can create such beautiful replicas of our favorite guitarist's guitars. The truth is, Bob Rusch is a really nice guy! Very friendly and easy to talk to. But.....I can't even count the number of "delivery dates" that have whistled by with no communication at all. He's had thousands of my dollars for over 2 years, and I still don't know if/when I'm getting my guitar. So as nice of a guy as he is, I simply won't purchase my next one from him.
 #174898  by OhiaMagnolia

Still waiting on the Rusch guitar, oddly enough in July it was like 2 or 1 1/2 guitars away from mine and now his website is no longer active. Sent a communication a few days ago and awaiting a response. Little concerned at this point.
 #174899  by gmantg70

OhiaMagnolia - I hate to say this, but I don't believe you will get your Rusch guitar. I think Robert may have closed his business without telling anyone. After more than two years of false/empty promises from Robert, I asked for a refund of my $3,500 down payment back in March of this year, 2023. Robert said he was having financial problems, and that he could not come up with that amount all at once, but agreed to make 12 consecutive weekly payments of $291.66. The last payment was scheduled for 6/4/23. He made three payments, skipped a payment, then made two more for a total of 5 of 12 payments. He said he was having to sell personal property and get a part time job to make ends meet while paying me back. I asked him if he was still building guitars, and he did not respond. He has since stopped responding to me or my PayPal requests. In fact, I just sent another request this past weekend with no response. He no longer responds to emails either. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I really believe he stopped actually building guitars quite a long time ago, and that many, many people will not get their guitars or their down payments back. It's the only way I can make sense of all of this.
 #174900  by OhiaMagnolia

Well fuck, ya know I appreciate the feedback but damn. Oddly enough a few months he asked to review the inlay on guitar and was sending that out.

Guess I will never get my Jerry or time to start saving for another 5 years.
 #174901  by OhiaMagnolia

July 3rd was my last communication, March was the inlay question. I dunno thats a bummer times 10. And not to throw a pity party, but I have had some MAJOR health issues that has lasted for a year or so in and out of hospitals and all sorts of shit and that was always something to look forward to. Took me 5 years or so to save up for said guitar and this was my "dream" guitar.
 #174903  by Slewfoot2000

That's all sad to hear. OhiaMagnolia - really sorry to hear about your situation. I might suggest reaching out to Andy Logan at Grateful Guitars. You never know if he may have something around that he can lend to you for a bit. Can't hurt to ask...hope things work out for you and that your health improves in the very near future.

https://gratefulguitars.org/
 #174904  by strumminsix

Well this sucks. I'm sorry to read of people getting screwed outta money. And worse, health problems, Ohio.

Best wishes to all!!
 #174908  by OhiaMagnolia

Thank you all for the kinds words, I sent a rather direct email to Robert today and yeah it's not a pleasant situation to be in. What really sucks too, is the guitar was a tribute to my best friend who passed... I cannot recall if mentioned that or not and what really sucks my guitar was paid in full.

Thing too like if Robert is hard up on cash or not in a good place, I don't wish him harm and if he just owned that and said it will be another two years but it will be built I would be sooo ok with that. I totally get "life" happens, it happened to me. I just prefer to not get screwed over. If I make a mistake or mess something up I strive to be a good human and at the very least own it and then try to make it right.

I reached out to Troy Post and explained the situation I am in and trying to get a quote so I know what to save up for. The customization isn't extreme at all I wanted a Rosebud without Midi, but thought three humbugs you can split would be nice vs the tiger pups setup but it wasn't a big deal. Then the name on fretboard was gonna be different and then the oval was a custom design. Not sure what Troy will quote me, but I'd like to have a target of what to save for since this will probably take 5-10 years to save for after all the health bills.

I may just eventually get a used Eastwood and call it a day, it's not what I wanted as I wanted my "own" guitar to grow old with that was "mine" and truly unique.

I will say it really sucks to get used like this, I have never had this happen and it is not a pleasant feeling at all but others have it worse and are in far worse situations than I am in. It's all about perspective.
 #174915  by TI4-1009

Sorry to hear all this Ohio. Robert made me a brass triple pickup ring about 10 year ago and I had no problems.

Also sorry to hear you paid full up front :o . Was that a requirement for the build or your choice. Red flag.
 #174916  by OhiaMagnolia

It was so long ago I cannot remember, but it was probably me being dumb and naïve with this.

And the thing that’s annoying too it’s like I don’t want to make this a legal issue so I’m giving Robert until the end of the month to reply. if your life sucks right now and your hard up for cash I’m ok with waiting. Shit happens.

Based on a little bit of digging till I think he’s back in New York, and no longer in Florida.
TI4-1009 liked this
 #174917  by OhiaMagnolia

The other interesting thing too, I was getting information on dealing with this bs but his insty is still live and 7 weeks ago he posted a completed build of a wolf guitar.

So who knows how this one ends, I just really hate drama and negative vibes. So while I’m pissed and annoyed at this I will still treat Robert with kindness and respect.
TI4-1009 liked this