#172728  by Randwulf83

Hi!

So I'm looking to build a Jerry-style guitar in a strat body, probably with Warmoth parts (but not the WGD style), pretty much like the HHH strat Jeff Mattson plays for DSO (rear-routed, maple cap, coil split toggles, OBED), except left-handed. Problem is that while I have plenty of playing experience, I have zero design and wiring experience when it comes to guitars. So I don't quite feel comfortable creating such a guitar myself. I imagine it's pretty easy to screw up and give up with electronics.

Does anyone know a luthier who builds such guitars using Warmoth parts (extra plus if they're in/near Chicago)? And does anyone know who built Jeff's?
 #172729  by Jon S.

I don't have answers to your questions but welcome to RUKIND.

Randwulf83 liked this
 #172733  by sw72

In Chicago if you bought the guitar and the parts I would think Chicago Fret Works could do all the routing and wiring you want. They have worked on several OBEL equipped guitars mine included. Bring the schematics - look for the current versions of the schematics (as opposed to the exact version Jerry used). This is important if you intent to use a HUB BUB or other modern luxury in your rig / board. Good luck.
Randwulf83 liked this
 #172737  by strumminsix

Chicagoan here and the finest folks locally are Rice Custom Guitars. They are an amazing father son team and do all their own work. The son is an electronics genius.

There work is slowing down as he's entering into retirement. But I know they have a couple dozen guitars and bodies and necks in various states so maybe something awesome could be done :)

If interested, let me know and message me your contact info and I'll send their way.

Disclosure: I met them while commissioning a totally custom guitar and after completion we all became close friends. Joined and started bands together, gigged together, been at milestone events for each other, etc...
Randwulf83 liked this
 #172742  by Jon S.

You could always do what Jerry himself essentially did: cop a stock Fender and mod it.
 #172744  by Randwulf83

lightningbolt wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:02 am
Bigfoot Co. wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:43 pm Brad Sarno assembled that guitar.
Wow - i totally miss-remembered that. My bad.
Thanks, everyone, for the replies! Does anyone know where the schematic can be found? Or any interviews/in-depth pieces on how Mattson's guitar works and is set up?
 #172745  by Jon S.

#172747  by Jon S.

Here's an example (mine) of modding an S-style guitar ('99 USA Reverend Avenger) into a Jerry-type S-style guitar. This guitar is a pleasure to play, versatile, and has become my #1 leading me to sell my Scarlet Fire Wolf last year and pull out my Philtone Jerrycaster "Tiger" only intermittently these days.

Mods include an-board CAE buffer and on-board OBEL. Re: the OBEL, some may recall the hell I went though trying to end the squealing I got when I first added the OBEL. No amount of rewiring stopped it but, to my suprise, upon adding the buffer, the guitar became instantly one of the quietest I own. I still don't know why!

#172753  by TI4-1009

Jon S. wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:14 pm I don't have answers to your questions but welcome to RUKIND.

Gotta love those April 1 memes :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jon S. liked this
 #172754  by Randwulf83

Jon S. wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:43 am Here's an example (mine) of modding an S-style guitar ('99 USA Reverend Avenger) into a Jerry-type S-style guitar. This guitar is a pleasure to play, versatile, and has become my #1 leading me to sell my Scarlet Fire Wolf last year and pull out my Philtone Jerrycaster "Tiger" only intermittently these days.

Mods include an-board CAE buffer and on-board OBEL. Re: the OBEL, some may recall the hell I went though trying to end the squealing I got when I first added the OBEL. No amount of rewiring stopped it but, to my suprise, upon adding the buffer, the guitar became instantly one of the quietest I own. I still don't know why!

Beautiful! I've always thought of the Secret Agent as the most versatile of Reverends, but this one blows it out of the water 😁
Jon S. liked this
 #172755  by Jon S.

Randwulf83 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:23 amBeautiful! I've always thought of the Secret Agent as the most versatile of Reverends, but this one blows it out of the water 😁
The best thing about the discontinued USA Rev's is, because they've got phenolic tops and backs, you can play the guitar while you're fishing and when you catch one, flip the guitar over and gut it on the back!