#162141  by Jblue76
 Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:33 am
Hey all,
Do the single coil size Super Distortion pickups sound like the real humbuckers? Looks like I am getting a G&L Legacy and I figured I’d put a sd-1 in the middle and a humbucker in the bridge. If I can avoid new routing for the bridge position then I would like to.

On a separate note, I’m wondering if it’s possible to put in a Wald buffer and wire it so that the guitar can be played with or without the buffer on.

Thanks!
 #162153  by Bigfoot Co.
 Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:36 pm
I would do super 2 in both if you are going for Tiger tone. Coil split for the middle PU is the big thing here.

You can wire the waldo buffer for on / off with a dedicated switch or a push pull pot if you want to. IMO, with this type of guitar and associated effects I want it on ALL the time, so no need. Just my preference. Get the small one.

A few years ago I decided to do a full tiger treatment to a G&L Legacy Tribute i got on the cheap, using Brad Sarno's "Mattsoncaster" as loose inspiration (thanks Brad!). And of course Waldo's indispensable diagrams (thank you Waldo!) to guide me.

The most challenging aspect for me was obtaining the correct distances for the pickups from the nut per waldo's measurements. I needed to slightly enlarge (+1/4" or so) the pool route on the bridge end to attempt to get it right.

In turn, I figured out pretty quickly that I needed to cut my own pickguard because Legacy pickguards are unique and nothing "off the shelf" is close to correct for Jerry measurements. I did this using homemade templates and a router to get everything in it's right place, more or less. I ended up cutting 3 pickguards, getting a little closer to "decent" each time. They are still not the best, but from 5 feet away on a dark stage they look great. I took my time with the project and had fun.

You can likely order a H / H / S pickguard from terrapin or pickguard planet (G&L former supplier) and be pretty darn close.

Good luck!
 #162154  by Jblue76
 Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:53 pm
Thanks so much for the guidance!

If coil split is key for the middle pickup, why go for the Super 2 in that position opposed to a SDS-1? Is it to have the option of a HB or is there just something about the tone of the SD that makes having it there worth while, even if I’ll spend most of my time with the could split?

I hadn’t thought about tiger wiring (I dig the ptb thing with the legacy; I have the active version of it on my 76 MM Stingray and I like it a lot) or moving the pickup location. Figured everything would stay in strat position and that’d get me close enough. I wasn’t even thinking of a clone, just the right pickups to get me in the ballpark and then my fingers will take it from there. I figure a strat would enable me to squeeze Jerry tone from the middle and bridge, and I can flip to the bridge when I’m in my Malkmus mood. That’s also why I asked about bypassing the buffer. I’m not sure I’ll want it on when I’m playing more indie stuff or shit I write.

Let me know what you think. Thanks again!
 #162158  by Jblue76
 Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:24 am
I just read an older thread about strat pickups. I’m thinking I will go with a super 2 in the bridge, but I’m not sure if I should get fender custom shop 69 for the middle and neck or go with another super 2 in the middle. Now that I’ve learned the Legacy has the bathtub route, there are lots of possibilities. What do you think? I’m also wondering if you can by the fender 69 pickups as singles or only as a set of three. Or would the G&L pickups be really close to the fender 69s anyway?
Thanks all!
 #162162  by Bigfoot Co.
 Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:42 am
how is your legacy coming to you with regards to pickup layout? s/s/s or h/s/s?

if it is s/s/s, you could go with a Dimarzio DP218 for the bridge, or even in the middle too. the DP218 the strat sized super distortion, so you would not have to get a new pickguard right out of the gate. full disc., I have not heard this pickup so I can't offer an opinion on how it sounds versus the real deal.

you can buy individual cs69's on reverb / ebay no problem if you are not opposed to going used.
 #162165  by Jblue76
 Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:32 am
Most likely it will end up being s/s/s. I was thinking the stock pickguard could be cut, or if not a new one isn’t that much of a cost. Plus I don’t know if you can get a s/h/h one for the legacy. I think I’d go for a real hb super2 in the bridge for sure. Just not sure about the middle. Hey, are the wald buffers still available? There’s a message on the website saying the custom shop is closed... :(
 #162167  by Incaroads77
 Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:05 am
Jblue76 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:24 am
I just read an older thread about strat pickups. I’m thinking I will go with a super 2 in the bridge, but I’m not sure if I should get fender custom shop 69 for the middle and neck or go with another super 2 in the middle. Now that I’ve learned the Legacy has the bathtub route, there are lots of possibilities. What do you think? I’m also wondering if you can by the fender 69 pickups as singles or only as a set of three. Or would the G&L pickups be really close to the fender 69s anyway?
Thanks all!
I tried out custom shop 69's before i went full bore with the super 2s and all that. I was surprised at how similar the split super 2 sounded compared to the custom shop 69 i had in the middle. The super 2's are of course closer to that "sound" that we all love however, the 69's are still VERY jerry sounding. Kinda just sounds like earlier Jer. Think alligator. He had stock pickups in it, and the cs69's are clones of the pickups fender was using at that time. I keep them around for whenever i build another Strat. Might do a wolf 1.0 with them! They are excellent pickups. I'll never use another kind of single coil in a build. Edit: the voodoos are suppose to be darn close to cs69's so i may have to grab one of those to toss in the middle.

-Vic