#161705  by Pellecaster
 Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:45 pm
I’m interested in getting everyone’s opinion on whether I should mod my warrior electric. It’s 25.5”, maple top mahogany back and neck, purple heart stripe, ebony fingerboard graphite nut. Currently has 2 Duncan hb’s, a piezo bridge. The controls top to bottom are volume, tone, piezo volume, and 2 coil switches. Upper bout 3 way pickup selector (neck, neck/bridge, bridge), 9volt battery in rear compartment for piezo only. Neutrik stereo output jack.

So, do I keep just two pickups or rout it out for a middle 3rd?

Remove the piezo bridge?

Obel? Stratoblaster? TPC-1? Redeemer?

Thanks in advance for all the ideas 😊

#161706  by tcsned
 Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:26 pm
Pretty geetar! As far as modding it, are you a person who sells stuff off and swaps gear or a buy a guitar and keep it forever kinda person? If you are the former, I would be cautious about doing any permanent mods. It’ll make it tough to sell. If you’re the latter, then make it how you want it IMHO.
Pellecaster liked this
 #161708  by Pellecaster
 Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:55 pm
I bought it new in ‘98, I don’t imagine I’ll ever sell it, plus I kinda doubt there is much of a market for these outside of a niche clientele, heck I was surprised when I looked them up recently and they’re still building these.

That being said I’m guessing that routing for a 3rd pickup would be either prohibitively expensive and maybe not the best idea cost wise where it would be better to save up for a new guitar.

I would entertain the possibility of new pickups and if possible an obel with an on off switch etc...i’d Also be willing to give up the piezo bridge which while cool isn’t necessarily a feature I need.

Would I be able to incorporate a second jack next to the existing one or would it need to be on the top?
 #161709  by waldo041
 Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:42 pm
you can do whatever you want to it. Dig in and degrade it's stock value and move into the boutique buyer realm which can be hit or miss. This is where you make that crucial decision whether you do that, or not. once that is done, then you boat rout it and get a 3 humbucker plate from leo or brian. I personally would plug those through hole string ends and do the Harmonica bridge and a Good Wood and brass tail piece. battery compartment in the rear and fully shielded. wire it like rosebud.

If you have had it since 1998, it is obviously a keeper, so why not get the sounds you want out of it?!

~waldo
Pellecaster liked this
 #161713  by Pellecaster
 Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:03 am
Thanks Mike, I was hoping you’d weigh in, I think I’ll ask around to find someone to do the mods. I don’t have the router or jigs for the pickups. Do you think it could be done with the existing back compartments or would I need to enlarge or add a separate battery compartment?

As far as the wiring goes, I don’t think I would do the Roland gk pickups, although I actually do have one from the 90’s along with a vg-88. I suppose I could do the tiger wiring if I do the boat rout also.

And yeah I would definitely plug the string holes and hopefully the tailpiece would cover most of it anyway. Which bridge and tailpiece should I look at? I see a couple different ones with a google search...

Finally does anyone know a good shop in New Jersey that could do these mods or has done them?

Thanks again for all the great info!

-Dave
 #161717  by TI4-1009
 Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:05 am
Not Jersey but east coast. Does great work.

http://www.aoguitars.com/pricing-5

Brian is excellent also, but Wyoming:

https://iocustomguitars.com/

"You say AO, I say IO, let's call the whole thing off." :lol:

Also
Pellecaster liked this
 #161718  by Pellecaster
 Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:04 pm
They both seem like great builders, I dread shipping guitars though, bad experiences with ups and fedex lol. Maine isn’t too far...lol! Maybe I can incorporate that into some kind of travel plans. Gotta be some local luthiers who could do this....
 #161725  by Pellecaster
 Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:51 pm
Lol I know, of the two guys I’ve been using, one moved to Texas the other retired. There are a couple in my neck of the woods I’d like to check out, maybe bring them an easy fret job or pickup replacement on a less expensive instrument and see how they do.

-Dave
 #161726  by waldo041
 Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:03 pm
Pellecaster wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:51 pm
Lol I know, of the two guys I’ve been using, one moved to Texas the other retired. There are a couple in my neck of the woods I’d like to check out, maybe bring them an easy fret job or pickup replacement on a less expensive instrument and see how they do.

-Dave
Actually that is the easy part! :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

The wiring is what gets you phone calls from a guy who can't tell the difference between buffers while you are downtown Chicago with your family.

~waldo
 #161729  by ac4468
 Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:08 pm
I’m with Waldo on the Rosebud setup with a few exceptions. Anything can be done depending on price point. I’d do as Waldo says and do a wood and brass tail to cover the holes. Bathtub rout and brass cover for the pickups. The harmonica bridge will likely require that you plug and redrill the posts for the bridge since it’s angled now and that looks odd with the harmonica. An alternative bridge that might fit the existing spacing is the Hipshot Tone-a-Matic. It’s wider than a normal tone-o-matic and has a huge range for intonation since the individual saddles are adjustable as well as the centering on the posts. This would allow you to square it up to the pickups and still have room for intonation. You probably have room in the existing cavities for one more jack for the OBEL. As for the 5-way switch, you might be able to convince Waldo :-) to come up with a wiring schematic for a 6-way “Freeway Switch” which would fit where the existing 3-way is and eliminate the need to do a 5 way and plug the other. Then a top cavity and cover behind the tail for the buffer and you’re all set. Pretty extensive mod but if you love the guitar go for it!
Pellecaster, waldo041 liked this
 #161743  by hippieguy1954
 Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:58 am
I would not mod that guitar for Jerry tone. I've been down the road of modifying a guitar for Jerry tone that was made out of a lot of mahogany. Wrong wood. Not bright enough.
A strat with ash body and maple neck/fret board along with Jerry electronics (single coils or humbuckers) would be better IMHO.
strumminsix liked this
 #161752  by strumminsix
 Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:15 pm
hippieguy1954 wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:58 am
I would not mod that guitar for Jerry tone. I've been down the road of modifying a guitar for Jerry tone that was made out of a lot of mahogany. Wrong wood. Not bright enough.
A strat with ash body and maple neck/fret board along with Jerry electronics (single coils or humbuckers) would be better IMHO.
^^^ This. Most mahogany guitars I've played are very warm and have a weird low mid spongeyness that just isn't Jerry.
 #161754  by Pellecaster
 Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:57 pm
You guys might be right as far as the wood goes, although this is the least warm mahogany guitar I’ve played I believe it’s really old wood. I guess I figured the thick maple top along with the Purple Heart stripe and ebony fingerboard would counter the mahogany’s warmth.

I guess the sheer amount of modding is a bit of a turn off. Looks like I need to save some money for a new build. Probably the smartest way to go lol!