#161700  by wleeds
 Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:59 am
wondering if the person who ordered the Jerry tribute strat from Erlewine is on here. If you are, can you post some pics and tell me/us about the guitar?

thx
Mark
 #161703  by Gypsykid136
 Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:29 pm
Big +1 on this. I’ve been curious about this guitar for some time. Please share if you’re out there!
 #161710  by elroy2288
 Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:55 pm

It's an amazing guitar and I know Dan has another one either built or close to done that I think is available. Let me know if you need Dan's contact info. It's made from the same piece of walnut Dan has had since 1969 that he made Jerry's with and the second Lucy guitar for Albert King. It has a 60s oval neck - very chunky - the way it was for Jerry.Dan included the original bridge, but did recommend a different bridge which is what we used and we used VooDoo 69 pickups. It's a stunning guitar and the pix don't do it justice. I'll see if the pix load and if they do, will post more...
Pellecaster, Gypsykid136, tcsned and 3 others liked this
 #161724  by waldo041
 Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:46 pm
Pretty significant guitar in the Jerry Guitar chronology! Maybe he was pissed with his when he left that gig and ordered a new guitar! The Erlewine Strat.

The design with the Gibson bridge stop-tail kind of epitomizes the guitar he was after. It essentially is what Alligator was. The only real structural difference is the bolt on neck and the headstock angle with 3 and 3 pegs from Wolf, Tiger etc....

This type of guitar is a GREAT starting point in a Jerry guitar search. Personally, I would order or I would change out the nut to a brass one, and add the string tree/bar for all six strings. I would also change the bridge to a harmonica type so if someone wanted try out his action later down the road, the guitar would intonate. It might not with the short travel the saddles have in the ABR type bridge JG used. I would think that is why he went to that type of bridge with Wolf later.

Thanks for sharing and contributing!

~waldo
 #161748  by wleeds
 Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:49 am
thanks!!!

i exchanged emails with Dan, seems like a great guy.

I find it interesting that this guitar isn't as talked about as Alligator yet significant in Garcia's evolution.

I've been listening to a lot of later 72 shows where he was playing either the stock sunburst strat or the Erlewine. There is something about that sound.
 #161758  by TI4-1009
 Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:51 am
Very nice! The bridge looks like a Compton bridge that is an upgrade for many Gretschs'.

http://www.comptonbridges.com/