#151466  by mkaufman

gr8fullfred wrote:I think that the best bet for a low cost Jerry guitar is to start with an Ibanez Musician. The Musician has 1)Neck thru 2) correct scale length 3)Very nice overall construction. 4) Similar to Wolf body style, but not exact.

You can pick up an Ibanez Musician for $700 to $800 do some modification (pickups, pickup plate, buffer, effects loop) and have what I think is a very close to Tiger guitar for relatively low cost. The are other ways to go, but the Ibanez Musician is a pretty good starting point. Just My .02!
I'm not saying that the Ibanez Musician can't get you there (they are great guitars), however, just to set the record straight: they have a 24.75" scale length and 24 frets.

ace
 #151467  by skajellafetty

mkaufman wrote:
gr8fullfred wrote:I think that the best bet for a low cost Jerry guitar is to start with an Ibanez Musician. The Musician has 1)Neck thru 2) correct scale length 3)Very nice overall construction. 4) Similar to Wolf body style, but not exact.

You can pick up an Ibanez Musician for $700 to $800 do some modification (pickups, pickup plate, buffer, effects loop) and have what I think is a very close to Tiger guitar for relatively low cost. The are other ways to go, but the Ibanez Musician is a pretty good starting point. Just My .02!
I'm not saying that the Ibanez Musician can't get you there (they are great guitars), however, just to set the record straight: they have a 24.75" scale length and 24 frets.

ace
Ah ok... didn't realize they all were... not an option then for what I'm after with this particular build. Besides tbh I'm leaning toward a new build anyway, & also not finding any Ibby's online cheap enough to consider for what I'll pay used. I'm not die hard about authentic like brass nut / hardware, etc... just want a good 25.5" HSH or HSS to put that Walker split super 2 sc in middle of, but don't want another actual Fender. I'm prob like 90% on ordering another Kiesel in next few days.. or today! Just gotta get an email back with some answers I need.
 #151474  by tatittle

Just for the record, a Gibson scale is 24.75 (or something like that lol), not the 25" mentioned in one of the posts above (25" is PRS).
Im not sure which is more important for Jerry tone actually, and I dont have enough experience to feel confident in my choice. But I might rather have a short Gibson scale if everything else was right on, vs. a 25.5" scale guitar that was otherwise not Jerry like or was difficult to play. Scale length makes a huge difference for me, besides the tonal difference it also affects my playing style dramatically. This is largely due to my smaller hands and the physical challenge a long scale. I think the tone also makes me play different licks and styles though, with the longer scale causing me to play more Garcia derivative than the shorter scale.

I cant say bc I dont have one, but I might consider a comprimise PRS 25" scale length. For me, the shorter length would allow me to shred like with a Gibson, while maintaining the longer scale things like half-step bends & vibrato, double stop stuff, etc. The radius and fret size plays a very big role as well. Defintiely bigger modern frets are called for, but there are trade-offs with rounder vs. flatter fretboards.
 #151475  by skajellafetty

tatittle wrote: I cant say bc I dont have one, but I might consider a comprimise PRS 25" scale length. For me, the shorter length would allow me to shred like with a Gibson, while maintaining the longer scale things like half-step bends & vibrato, double stop stuff, etc. The radius and fret size plays a very big role as well. Defintiely bigger modern frets are called for, but there are trade-offs with rounder vs. flatter fretboards.
I have all 3 scale lengths, can adapt back & forth (but get right shoulder issues with all of em so looking for good tummy bevel + a bevel under arm), but never actually went for a more authentic Jerry tone & want a dedicated guitar for that... while I've been into him going on 30 years, me playing guitar & especially going for his tone is much newer adventure. (The middle sc split super 2 that'll be here soon needs a home is what I'm really figuring out.)

I really do love the feel of my HH 25" scale SH65 semi with 1 piece walnut neck-thru, alder wings, 14" radius ebony board, stainless steel frets... I'm considering that basic idea again but on a bolt-on or set neck model with middle route, but prob a walnut body & maple neck.