#147775  by tnt1234

Hi all -

So working on my second build with OBEL. My first one, which everyone here help with - thanks again - I did not run the ground wire from the volume to the output jack. This time I would like to do that,

However, the guitar has side mounted outputs. So if I use a nice heavy piece of wire as the ground wire, I won't be able to easily remove the output jacks in case they need repair etc...Being a hobbiest, I find I need to do that now and then as I'm wiring up the guitar and trouble shooting the wiring, etc...

So, my thought was to drill the heavy copper wire int the shielded side of the control cavity and solder it to the shielding. Then run wire with some slack from that spot to the output ground. Other end of the copper goes to the volume pot.

No real down side to this, right? Doesn't hurt to have the ground wire grounding the shielding, even though the pot housings will also be grounding the shielding?

Thanks, and here is a pic of the body after wet sanding and polishing last night....

#147776  by hippieguy1954

Should be fine like that. That body is looking great. What did you finish it with?
 #147781  by tnt1234

hippieguy1954 wrote:Should be fine like that. That body is looking great. What did you finish it with?

Water based dye from stew mac. One coat of black, sanded back, then a mixture of red mahogany and maybe some yellow? I forget exact mix.
Then clear coat nitro in rattle cans.

Front came out great. The back has a few pits in the finish. Despite 3 coats of grain fill and a ton of SS and clear, still some open grain....frustrating.

But thanks for the advice and kind words.