#139538  by James-T

So I've scored a MIJ E series Fender Squire 1983 neck on CL. I had a 83 Dan Smith Stratocaster which I traded this winter, but I loved the C shape of that neck and the Squire is identical and in better shape. It was dirt cheap, so I couldn't resist.

I also scored a black nitro chambered alder Warmoth body loaded with everything but pickups also el cheapo on CL, so I'm building a strat for less than $350 so far. And its going to be ultra light and hopefully fairly resonant. I've read good things about chambered alder bodies.

I've got a Dimarzio Area 58 kicking around and some USA stock pick-ups but feel like building something really different. I've got another strat with really nicely aged Tokai pickups which I think are comparable to the DAllen Voodoo 69's and can get a good "close enough for me" Alligator tone. I also have a strat with a SDS-1 and Lil 59 (PAF sounding bridge pup).

So if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. I'm not looking to do any new mods to the SSS configuration. But I'd drop in a blaster if folks really feel its worth it, or perhaps another Wald buffer. I'm thinking maybe something that gets me in a P90 territory - if there is a single coil that can do that trick! :smile: and try to chase down an early 77 tone. I'd be open to purchasing someone's orphaned pickups if you have some lying around not getting any air time.

Peace,

James
 #139543  by hippieguy1954

I'm thinking maybe something that gets me in a P90 territory - if there is a single coil that can do that trick! :smile:
The P90 is a single coil.
 #139545  by Searing75

Well, early '77 would be the Bean. In my opinion, You wont get that tone with a Strat.

For your Strat, I find the VooDoo 69's to be best option. Maybe the Echo's set D. Allen has. For a hotter bridge, then 69's in the middle and neck position. That's how I have my SSS guitar set up. It sounds great!
 #139550  by milobender

I'd have a blaster in it for sure... I make my own single coils, strat type as well as p-90... I'd be happy to work with you and build something custom... (I also have original J230s and Allen Bradley carbon comps for the blaster) pm me if you want to talk about it.
 #139669  by Mr.Burns

+1 D Allen 69s dollar for dollar best single coils available, also they just happen to sound like Alligator's pups in my guitar.
 #139680  by hippieguy1954

Mr.Burns wrote:+1 D Allen 69s dollar for dollar best single coils available, also they just happen to sound like Alligator's pups in my guitar.
+1 I totally agree :smile:
 #139688  by James-T

Thanks folks,

I've heard nothing but great things about the DAllens. But I just got a Strat in a trade with some aged Tokai pups that already get me to that Alligator tone so I'm looking for something just a bit different.

I'm thinking something single coil but in a P90 territory. Like Jerry was probably after when he migrated from a Strat to a TB.

I was looking at the Bare Knuckle website. They've got some pups that look like they would fit the bill. Something like an SDS-1.
Like the Slow Hand or Triolgy Suite sets.

If there are any pioneers out their that broke out of the DAllen mold with a Strat pipe in!

Peace,

James
 #139719  by Mr.Burns

James-T wrote:Something like an SDS-1.
I'm curious as to why you aren't going with SDS-1s, if that's what you're after? I feel that if a single coil existed that did truly sound like a P-90, there would be a buzz about them here, wouldn't there? I believe that what's attractive about P-90s (their incredible dynamics, as well as tone) is inherent in their design, and therefore exclusive to P-90s. As much as I would love a Strat with P-90s for tone, they just look wrong, especially with the middle pickup. Also, the P-90s won't make a Strat sound like a TB, it will sound like a strat with P-90s.
 #139722  by milobender

I believe that what's attractive about P-90s (their incredible dynamics, as well as tone) is inherent in their design, and therefore exclusive to P-90s.
+1 P-90s have a unique architecture, as do the Strat/Slug type single coil, and the traditional Gibson type humbucker...
 #139744  by James-T

I'm curious as to why you aren't going with SDS-1s, if that's what you're after? I feel that if a single coil existed that did truly sound like a P-90, there would be a buzz about them here, wouldn't there? I believe that what's attractive about P-90s (their incredible dynamics, as well as tone) is inherent in their design, and therefore exclusive to P-90s. As much as I would love a Strat with P-90s for tone, they just look wrong, especially with the middle pickup. Also, the P-90s won't make a Strat sound like a TB, it will sound like a strat with P-90s.
Well, I've got an SDS-1 in my American stratocaster already and just love it but wanted to try something different. That guitar has it only in the middle position with a Lil 59 at the bridge and a Area 58 at the neck.

And heck, all sorts of guys put Super II's in a stratocaster. Sure it isn't an exact replica of a Tiger and it might just make a stratocaster look wrong but necessity is the mother of all invention and I think they are on to something. Jeff Mattson swears by his Stratocaster and while I haven't seen him live he gets some great tones happening from what I can see on youtube.

The one thing I find about this board so great is the vast knowledge that stems from experimenting.

I'm now tempted to make by Stratocaster just "look wrong" because that could be really cool! And who knows I might not be in TB territory but some other cool place sonically.

I hear you about looking wrong - I'm a purest at heart as well.......but......

Might be wrong but looks totally cool (I wish she was mine!).

Pete with another bad ass Stratocaster - (2) P90's

Lollar P90's perhaps? You might be right. A P90 is a P90. Might not possible to get that tone out of a single coil. :smile:

Peace,

James
 #139745  by Mr.Burns

That one with 3 P-90s is pretty cool but I can't stand the angle on that bridge pickup. That's one case where I'd take form over function and have mine parallel to others. Maybe the only one.
 #139750  by James-T

It does look sort of stupid. I wonder if affects the tone that much? Most 3 P90 strat setups have them parallel and they do look pretty cool that way, like a strat with attitude.

I'm thinking Lollars. Jason is just south of us here and his P90s sound like they have some pretty good mojo from the positive reviews.

So much for not going with a new route. Does anybody know if P90s need a deeper route. The body I'm working with is chambered, but again not sure if its even an issue.

Peace, :smile:

James
 #139752  by Searing75

And another trap door opens!!! Now I am ordering three P90's from D. Allen. Gonna' make a pickup ring so I can toss them in my Wolf mock up. :-)