#137420  by Jon S.

1st question:

Example 1: humbucker with two identical coils set in guitar so *north* coil is closest to neck and active.
Example 2: same humbucker rotated 180 degrees so *south* coil is closest to neck and is now the active one.

Should these sound the same?

2nd question:

Example 1: humbucker with two identical coils set in guitar so *north* coil is closest to neck and active.
Example 2: same humbucker pushed back the length of one of the coils towards the neck so the *south* coil is now situated exactly where the north coil was in Example 1 and is changed to be the active coil.

Should these also sound the same?

Thanks.
 #137434  by Jon S.

No responses here but I've gotten a bunch on The Gear Page, in case anyone's interested.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... ?t=1402296

One observation I will make about my own guitar with these characteristics:

>> In the guitar of mine that prompted my questions, the bridge PUP is a Dimarzio Super Distortion HB, the middle and neck PUPs are both Dimarzio Super 2's, all are oriented north coil neck side/south coil bridge side, and I've wired them with 3-way minitoggles to give me north coil-both-south coil. The north coils are essentially where Strat PUPs would be. The south coils are very close to where the north coils were on Jerry Garcia's custom guitars. This appears to give me BOTH classic Strat AND Jerry tones in the same guitar.

There is a huge difference in tone between the two coils in the bridge and neck positions. The difference between the two coils in the middle position is also noticeable but far less significant.

From this I'm deriving that if you're guitar of choice for Jerry tones is a straight up Strat and you live on the middle pickup, you're at least 90% of the way "there." Not so, though, when you select the bridge or neck pickup.
 #137448  by Smolder

For a while it tried rotating both individual humbucker pickups hoping the they would sound more similar with the pole pieces closer together. Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference.