#137413  by tatittle

I am looking to switch the bridge I currently have on a hardtail Strat to a model that matches my playing style better. The thought occurred to me that I could just take the tremblock off of a regular Strat tremolo bridge assembly and attach it the remaining plate directly to the body. I haven't measured but the screws for the block look to be the same location as the mounting holes on a hardtail body. I don't care about the aesthetics of the extra width/trem bar hole extention at this point. Anyone done this before?
 #137415  by tatittle

Actually that is the exact bridge I am looking to replace. I've had the low E popping off with fingerpicking, so I don't think it will be a good match for that aspect of my playing. Its probably worse on mine than usual because I have that saddle screwed all the way up to direct the string over the neck and p'up poles better.

Im not sure why the link below aint working right, but it is working on the last post of "show us your Garcia guitars"
http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q77 ... 1b97c7.jpg

I waS HOPING the string thru body would end up being a perfect match for the existing holes. I havent looked at the body holes etc. closely (other bridge on it now) yet...I just thought I would throw this out there 1st in case I am missing something obvious.
 #137416  by Mr.Burns

tatittle wrote:Actually that is the exact bridge I am looking to replace. I've had the low E popping off with fingerpicking, so I don't think it will be a good match for that aspect of my playing. Its probably worse on mine than usual because I have that saddle screwed all the way up to direct the string over the neck and p'up poles better.

Im not sure why the link below aint working right, but it is working on the last post of "show us your Garcia guitars"

I waS HOPING the string thru body would end up being a perfect match for the existing holes. I havent looked at the body holes etc. closely (other bridge on it now) yet...I just thought I would throw this out there 1st in case I am missing something obvious.
Just a little advice: only use the spacing adjustment(rollers) to direct the string over the poles. The saddles' positions relative to the nut should only account for intonation adjustments. To change a string's length will change your intonation throughout the length of the string.
 #137419  by Marlow

I'm doing this right now, using the bridge pictured in the thread about Alligator's control plate. I can say that the three trem bridge mounting holes line up perfectly with vintage flatmount holes on a Warmoth hardtail, and the string holes through the trem block align with the through-body holes in terms of distance from the mounting screws, but they are about 1mm-2mm closer together. I'm probably going to widen the holes a bit and maybe use a larger ferrule, or else string through to the back of the bridge (the Dimarzio bridge does either string-through or wraparound). The saddles line up the same as a regular hardtail.
 #137421  by tatittle

Great, thanks for the info. Ill go ahead and try it out. I have some terrific quality trem bridges I picked up over the years, but no other quality hardtails besides the Schaller I recall. Eventually I plan on getting a proper replacement when price and quality align if just to keep the trembridge together, but I am totally digging the sound of the OBEL/Super2/Steve (and fingerpicking parts) right now and just cant wait.
 #137475  by mkaufman

I have an early 80's Ibanez Blazer (Strat clone) which has a stock hardtail bridge.

String are not thru-body, but I love the guitar and they are really cheap.

I'm currently having the guitar modded. The mods will cost way more than the guitar!

mk
 #137486  by tatittle

Holy cow, :shock:

It looks like an upgrade for a 30mm fighter jet canon! Pricey, but worth it? Nice find :thewave:
 #137492  by Mr.Burns

That has got to be the most expensive bridge I've ever seen. And then I noticed that it says trim ring sold separately. Sheesh. Is it really better than a block of wood or brass?
 #137494  by TI4-1009

Supposedly the fluting on a brass nut is to reduce that "crosstalk" between the strings too, not just for ornamentation. Axemasters sells nuts with deep slots cut between each string slot for the same purpose. I wonder how real that all is??
 #137495  by tcsned

Yeah, it's pricey but if it sounds good it may be worth it. It's something different if nothing else. I prefer the flat mount bridges over the stop-tail ones these days even though I'm a LP guy at heart.