#134766  by fulltone1989

Hi everyone,

I'm very new here, nice to meet you all!

I picked up an Ibanez MC300NT and it's a great guitar but I don't like the out-of-phase option of the tri-sound switches. It's very weak in comparison and not pleasant or really usable IMHO.

is there a mod to just rewire the switch to engage singe coils or other combinations? I know its a no-no to modify a vintage guitar but I think it'd really make the guitar more-usable for me.

How about wiring it similar to Scott Murawski's?

As far as I know, the tri-sounds are humbucker, singles in parallel, and the OOP single coil.

Thank you very much!
 #134794  by Jerry1996x

Welcome fulltone! Deadicated Phan on strangedesign. You should definitely check out some of the modded MCs on here if you're considering going a wolf direction like you said on strangedesign, some people have gone all out (in the best possible way). I've got an MC300 that I'm in the process of Jerry modding, awesome guitar.

As far as the tri-sound switches, it should be a pretty easy mod. I'm no genius, but there are plenty of guys on here that will know what to tell you, otherwise I'm sure you could look up a schematic online somewhere.
 #134802  by jeffm725

fulltone1989 wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm very new here, nice to meet you all!

I picked up an Ibanez MC300NT and it's a great guitar but I don't like the out-of-phase option of the tri-sound switches. It's very weak in comparison and not pleasant or really usable IMHO.

is there a mod to just rewire the switch to engage singe coils or other combinations? I know its a no-no to modify a vintage guitar but I think it'd really make the guitar more-usable for me.

How about wiring it similar to Scott Murawski's?

As far as I know, the tri-sounds are humbucker, singles in parallel, and the OOP single coil.

Thank you very much!
The first thing to do would be to get rid of the pickups no matter what. The supper 88's imo are just not that great, I have a few MC's and the only one I kept them in was my MC500 because it is pristine.

Scott's is an 82 MC350 which means they have the old Super 58 pickups which are killer compared to the 88's.
Tough to find those now *they make a reissue of those pups but they are not the same).

Otherwise I would just look at replacing the pickups to whatever your taste tends towards.
 #134812  by strumminsix

fulltone1989 wrote: As far as I know, the tri-sounds are humbucker, singles in parallel, and the OOP single coil.
I could be wrong but thought it was: dual series, single coil and dual parallel

Not sure what OOP single coil is. My mind cannot think of how a single coil could be out of phase with itself.
 #134829  by strumminsix

mkaufman wrote:Roughly speaking:

1970's Musicans has the OOP option
1980's replaced OOP with parallel

Same is true with the Artist models.

OOP: the coils within the same humbucker are out of phase to each other.

mk
So if I'm reading you right, the choices are:
Dual series
Dual parallel
Dual OOP
 #136113  by fulltone1989

flyingheelhook wrote:I'll be following this conversation - my AR305 has the same issues.
I was able to work the the wires on the switch so I have humbucker-dual single-single options.. I found the thread over on ibanezcollectorsworld.com.

Thanks for the input everyone! I am going with an AO jerryfication.
 #136116  by mkaufman

strumminsix wrote:
mkaufman wrote:Roughly speaking:

1970's Musicans has the OOP option
1980's replaced OOP with parallel

Same is true with the Artist models.

OOP: the coils within the same humbucker are out of phase to each other.

mk
So if I'm reading you right, the choices are:
Dual series
Dual parallel
Dual OOP
For the 80's MC's:

- HB series
- HB parallel
- singe coil

mk