#118136  by BJolley

Looking for some help rewiring a Nashville Telecaster for a Super 2 in the middle. The Nashville is wired with a 5-way Strat switch and has Tex-Mex Tele neck and bridge pickups, as well as a Strat single coil in the middle. It comes wired for B-BM-M-MN-N switching. In addition to adding a mini switch to split the Super 2, I'd like to rewire it to run B-BM-M-BN-N to be able to get both Jerry-type tone as well as traditional Tele bridge/neck combo tone. Can this be done with the stock Strat-type switch?
 #118139  by barefootdave

If you reverse the wiring between bridge and middle pickup, I mean just attach one to the other and vice versa, you should get:

1. Neck
2. Neck + Bridge
3. Bridge
4. Middle + Bridge
5. Middle

This would be handy in a way, because when you want to go to JG tone you just flip the switch all the way to the bottom. Your first three settings are your standard tele sounds. I think this addresses your request exactly. (Hawk would be so proud of me)
 #118148  by BJolley

Thanks' for the tip, Barefoot Dave.

Any way to have it go:

1: Bridge
2: Bridge/Mid
3: Mid
4: Bridge/Neck
5: Neck?

Or is the Strat switch not configured for this? Thanks.
 #118155  by barefootdave

I am not an expert on wiring, hopefully someone else will join in that knows more than me. I only knew what I told you because I am going to reverse pickups in a strat in order to get both strat and tele configurations out of it. It needs to be simple for me to be able to do the work.

I am fairly sure a qualified technician could easily do what you are asking.
 #118352  by JonnyBoy

That can't be done with wiring the pickups straigt to the switch as they normally are. Dave is right, you can flip the pickups or you can create a toggle switch circuit that can turn on the neck pickup when you are in the bridge position, or vise versa. That is usually how its done, from my experience...
 #118362  by BJolley

Thanks for the input. I'll try the suggested simple wiring mods and get used to throwing it all the way back to get the middle Super 2. Good news for Nashville Tele owners: I discovered that the Nashville is routed with a swimming pool for the neck and middle P/Us. So I can plug the super 2 in without any mods to the guitar other than the pick guard.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a ... 6861_n.jpg
 #121347  by RiverRat

BJolley wrote:Thanks' for the tip, Barefoot Dave.

Any way to have it go:

1: Bridge
2: Bridge/Mid
3: Mid
4: Bridge/Neck
5: Neck?

Or is the Strat switch not configured for this? Thanks.
How about this instead...

standard strat 5 way + Neck for position 1,2 or 3

That's the wiring diagram for David Gilmour's Black Strat, you can also accomplish this without the extra switch by using a push pull volume pot
 #121348  by tigerstrat

BJolley wrote:I finally got around to finishing this project.

Love it!
 #121739  by BJolley

Grant, long story short I'm currently only playing through a Fender Frontman 15R practice amp.

Long story long, I had a 1980's Seymour Duncan 60 watt tube amp that bit the dust recently (it was a bit dark for Jerry amp). I also had a Fender Twin '65 reissue on loan from a friend for several months but he recently needed it back. I now have a Fender Mustang III en route as I write this. Once the Mustang arrives I'll see if I can figure out the digital interface with my computer to upload some sounds.
 #134179  by Free Jazz

How does the Super 2 sound in a typical Tele? And when tapped, how "Jerry" does it get in a typical combo amp as opposed to a Fender/Mac/JBL rig?
 #134490  by BJolley

Sounds good enough to me. Turns out it's my playing rather than equipment that keeps me from getting a real Jerry tone...
 #146539  by 1960strat

Interested in the outcome of this thread. All of the pictures are down and there are no sound files. Looking to do this exact same mod to a tele with a UGB