#100216  by hawk900

I'm currently routing my 2nd SG as we speak that will include: 2bourns push pull pots at 500k that include built on dpdt to split the dimarzio neck and middle super2's,two unity gain buffers. One is the wolf from wald and the other is called a jangletone from cae. I use one or the other by a flick of a spst switch. Not including midi this time because Roland now makes a midi multi effect floor unit that contains 500 diff instrument emulators. It literally sounds to the tee of Jerry's flute,Oboe,piano(space),etc. Works off of 1/4 inch jacks and converts analogue to digital and back to analogue to preamp. You can preload six effects one to each of the 6 stomp switches. I'll keep you guys posted with pics as I get close to the final assembly.
Also you guys should check the mini effects processor called the PODxt. It has thousands of tiny little files you download from their site. My favs are Sugaree,Candyman,Mutron3,OC2,and every other sound you have ever heard from Jer. Plus it has a built in amp model selector and of course they have the blackface and twin from the late 60's. Now I'm down to two Boss pedals thats it. One EQ and Digital delay. Less pedals,less connections the less chance of 1/4inch jack troubles. Also it has a beautiful sounding tube reverb built in which is very impressive.
I don't need any SG bashers here because sorry I don't have an extra 10grand layin around to purchase a lazy man's already modded copy from various builders.
hawk.
ps. Thanks wald for all your work and excellent info.
 #100217  by deadguise

Who on this board bashes SGs?
Nuttin' wrong with SGs or Strats because these are the classic tones of Jerry.
And please don't bash those as lazy who have the means to invest in a high end guitar.
I hope your project does well. Keep us posted on your project.
 #100218  by tigerstrat

two UGB's? care to explain?

Have there been instances of SG-bashing in the forum? Where, lemme at 'em!
 #100219  by alcorelectric

I think you can get a very convincing Jerry tone w/ the stock Gibby PUs 490/496? (these are ceramic like the Super IIs)
Straight in to a twin W/O effects has a very jerryesque sound
T
 #100220  by Grant

Looking forward to some photos!

Yeah I don't recall SGs being knocked around here
 #100242  by jackr

I love SGs but have never found one that I have "bonded" with yet. But I am always checking them out.

Anyone who bashes SGs should take a look at some Derek Truck videos. That will surely change their opinion. Obviously jerry played one for a bit as well as many other greats.
 #100340  by Gr8fulGreg

jackr wrote: Anyone who bashes SGs should take a look at some Derek Truck videos.

+1 on that.... love that guy

As far as the faded "low end" gibsons... I had a faded LP and was not feeling it... Something about the chamber in it doesnt feel right to me for a LP.... Never played the SG long enough to have an opinion though...
 #100343  by gr8fulbluz

I always loved the look of the SG, I liked the feel too, nice neck and body feel to me. Light and comfortable.
But I have only played them a little and never got to own one. So I dunno, but I would consider one for sure.
.good enough for Zappa as well. :twisted:
Last edited by gr8fulbluz on Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #100344  by ebick

I have a '76 which I have had almost since then, and I love it.
 #104726  by hawk900

I consider it to be the closest commercial axe to the dog eared neck ratio and length. I've played a strat for twenty years with jer type mods. Then I got the pleasure of holding Moriarity tiger/rosebud model and the sg with my eyes closed the fret distance and body length I could grab the eg. ninth fret right away type neck feel. It is all neck which I love. If you let go of the neck it wants to fall poiting to the ground.
 #104843  by hawk900

Still a work in progress and don't mind the crap routing job. I have a sweet sheilded plate That fits just perfect. Stacked with dp104's magnetically in phase and wired. Push pull 500k w/.022 uf caps. Pull to coil spit. Soon to be changed to individual dpdt's. In this shot I have the cae sound jangletone unity buffer for now which can be bypassed(until I receive my TPC1 from the king waldo which will alway remain on),external stratoblaster at start of fx loop run same as internal,fx loop can be bypassed,roland midi sensor to 1/4 jack on ground processor. Piezo pup blended with split gibson bucker to add Cripe acoustic tone. Single JBL e120-8ohm in russian birch cab angled at rib cage level. Fender Deluxe with dual 6l6gc- 5881 and dual 12ax7a tubes and treble,mid,bass tone pots modded to jer spec's.
Will post updates when I preamp out to my MC2100 and the guitar is finalized. Parts slowly comin in one by one.
 #104846  by tigerstrat

hawk900 wrote:Fender Deluxe with dual 6l6gc- 5881
Did you beef up the Deluxe's trans in order to run the bigger bottles? Which Deluxe is that anyway?? I see twelve knobs on the front, and no jacks! What gives?
 #104849  by hawk900

That's The 93 Deluxe VM(vintage modified) with wood behind the tiedie which sounds sweet with orig blackface specs. As my project goes along I plan to cut the wood and slide my 64 twin reverb tray in the middle which is preamp tapped post alembic style.
I posted a thread under the Equipment Discussion threads about the schematic and help there of, of the Deluxe VM.
hawk