#96007  by deadheadnewbie

Hello, new guy here...
Lurking for awhile, first time poster. Im building a guitar and want to add an on board effects loop and one of the TCPs with unity buffers. I know where to buy the TCP w. buffer (thanks to the many previous posts) where is a good place to buy an on board effects loop? If I just have to purchase jacks, what all do I need? Thanks for the killer information you guys throw out here. Your help here would be greatly appriciated...
Bob
 #96008  by tapestry

Welcome, Bob!

The onboard effects loop is just composed of the unity gain buffer and a stereo 1/4 inch jack. You can check out http://www.wald-electronics.com/tiger.html for the schematics of how to wire it all up, but basically you wire the pickup selector to the buffer, then the buffer to the output of the stero jack....out to effects and back in to the input of the stero jack then to the tone and volume, then out the additional mono 1/4 jack to your amp. Basically.
Last edited by tapestry on Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #96022  by JonnyBoy

Tapestry is right! Not much to it once you get your mind around it, You will also need a DPDT switch to engage and disengage the OBEL. You can buy everything you need at Radio Shack if you gotta have it today. The schematics are pretty easy to follow too on the site posted above.

Also remember you will need the cords to make it work. The mono cord that goes straight to the amp.

Then you need a guitar cord that is stereo. The tip send and the ring return and the sleeve ground is the accepted way to do it for compatibility reasons. one end goes into the OBEL jack and the other gets plugged into a box that has a stereo jack input wired to two mono jack outputs, AKA a Hubbub. Each mono output on that box (hub) should be labeled send and return just like an other effects loop config, and wire accordingly from there to effects.

So in reality you will need a few more items...