#171626  by estimated_eyes

I just purchased a the black Casio model that Bob used in 1989. I will need to track down a modulus neck and some EMG pickups to complete it.

Does anyone know what specific EMG pickups he had and how they were configured? I've heard 2 single coils, that all have separate switches. I don't know what the intention was with the separate switches or how it was wired. It also looks to me like there was a humbucker in the bridge.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
EE
 #171627  by lbpesq

I don’t know to what extent Bobby’s was modified, but stock it had two single coils and a humbucker at the bridge. I had a PG-380 on which I replaced the non-functioning bridge humbucker with a passive EMG that worked fine.

Good luck finding a Modulus neck. You might also consider a Moses graphite neck. Also out of production and hard to find, but they turn up more often than the Modulus necks. You might also look for an Alvarez Villain which sported a Modulus graphite neck and often go for less than stand alone neck. The headstock is shaped a little differently on the Alvarez. AFAIK, no one is currently producing graphite necks.

Does the synth work? Most of these now need to have the caps replaced. There are instructions somewhere on the net. I have a PG-300 and had the cap job done. The PG-300 is similar to your PG-380, but with a sunburst finish. The PG-300 also appears to be a joint project with Mosrite.

Bill, tgo
 #171632  by estimated_eyes

Thanks. Very helpful. Were you going for the bobby tone at all when you replaced the bridge with the EMG humbucker? Did it get you ... close? I know a lot of the tone from that era was from the preamp and effects, but curious how much was from that guitar. Effects were so heavy on those 89 recordings. Thanks.
 #171633  by lbpesq

I sold the guitar on reverb and when I did my pre-shipping inspection I discovered that the bridge humbucker was dead. The EMG looked just like the original (all black), so I discussed it with the buyer, and installed the EMG. IMHO 95% of "Jerry tone" or "Bobby tone" is in the fingers. The rest is mostly clean pickups, effects, and amp. I firmly believe that if Bobby played through my guitar and rig, he would sound like Bobby. And if I played through Bobby's guitar and rig, I'd sound like me.

Still curious about whether your synth module still works? If not, I found the instructions for replacing the caps, if you need them.

Bill, tgo
 #171639  by estimated_eyes

Thanks. Good point. I'll get the guitar on Monday and will let you know. I have a feeling I may need to replace the caps. I know the battery component wasn't functioning but worked with a power supply...
lbpesq wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:11 pm I sold the guitar on reverb and when I did my pre-shipping inspection I discovered that the bridge humbucker was dead. The EMG looked just like the original (all black), so I discussed it with the buyer, and installed the EMG. IMHO 95% of "Jerry tone" or "Bobby tone" is in the fingers. The rest is mostly clean pickups, effects, and amp. I firmly believe that if Bobby played through my guitar and rig, he would sound like Bobby. And if I played through Bobby's guitar and rig, I'd sound like me.

Still curious about whether your synth module still works? If not, I found the instructions for replacing the caps, if you need them.

Bill, tgo
 #171647  by lbpesq

Regarding the replacement of the standard blade switch with three mini-toggles, let me offer my unsolicited 2¢. I played a Strat exclusively for 25+ years. I build Strat and Tele type guitars. So I am well acquainted with the blade switch. I also own a custom Alembic Further with a SSH layout, like Bobby's Casio. The Further has three mini-toggles in place of the blade. Each is off/on/bright. After extensively experiencing both types, when playing live I prefer the blade. It just works far better for changing PUs during a song (like using my neck PU for rhythm and middle for lead). If I could do it again, I'd have had the Further built with the blade switch. Of course YMMV.

Bill, tgo
 #171651  by lbpesq

I have no info as to the mini-toggle mod on Bobby’s Casio, not even if they are two or three way switches. The off/on/bright is what Alembic uses on their Further guitar. The “bright” position is just as it sounds, like the “on” position, but brighter with a treble emphasis.

Bill, tgo
 #171686  by estimated_eyes

It turns out bob used the three way switch, but it was configured to have different combinations of the three pickups on/off. I will end up taking this to my tech with the EMG pickups to install, but does anyone know what else I might need in order to make this works with the 3-way switch?
 #172102  by canam116

PM'd you...thanks to Sotheby's, I have Bob's PG-380....at least the 89-91 one with the three switches and three single pups near the bridge. I havn't had anyone study it yet (I'm not taking it apart!)....so not exactly sure is S or SA pickups. The color has worn off the front of the pickups, so I cant tell if they were gold or white. They work and sound great though.

Also and interestingly, the neck is a V shape...super low action. The case had strings in it, so maybe I'll post what I found inside to answer some questions about what Bob may have, at least, been using at the time.
 #172104  by lbpesq

Congrats! They are really nice guitars and, of course, it was Bobby’s! Does the synth work? I LOVE my old Modulus Blackknife neck, though I’ve never seen one with a “V” profile.

Bill, tgo
 #172105  by canam116

Thanks! I haven’t tried the synth yet. I need to dig up a stereo cable. I’m particularly interested in what the 4th switch, closest to the synth does. Does nothing when using the guitar only jack.

Yeah…the neck feels smaller to my hands than the other graphite necked guitars I own. I picked up a second Bob Blackknife at the auction, and the neck is the same. Must have made them like that special for him.