#171590  by LazyLightning72

lbpesq wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:43 pm I would just angle gently down from the face. The angle isn’t critical, so long as the face, where the string leaves the saddle, is the high point. Start with minimal pressure, almost just the weight of the file without any added pressure - there is no way to screw things up with too little pressure! I would file with gentle long stokes in one direction, from the face (closest to neck) towards the back (closest to tailpiece). Brass is pretty soft. I’d probably just do 2 or 3 strokes at a time to start, with the string loosened a little and pulled out of the notch. Then seat the string back in the notch, tune and test. Repeat as necessary until the string sounds good without any sitar effect. You’ll get the feel of it as you go along. Practicing on a spare piece of brass first isn’t a bad idea, but not necessary. Just go slow and easy. Like I said before, it’s much easier to remove brass than to add it!

Bill, tgo
Thanks Bill,
I’ll update how things go once I get the files and follow your advice.
 #171594  by LazyLightning72

So I come to find out, someone I know has a brand new extra set of the StewMac files.

#0882 For Medium Strings
0.010", 0.013", 0.016", 0.028", 0.035", and 0.046"
https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-a ... ic-guitar/

And a StewMac Nut File Backer, just one of these, but he said they all fit in it.
https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-a ... le-backer/

I was about to buy the Hosco brand that Bill suggested, so I’m torn. Any of you have any experience with these? Are they as good quality as the Hosco?

Thanks in advance!
Chris
 #171595  by lbpesq

I haven't used the StewMac files, Chris, but I've ordered lots of tools and supplies from StewMac over the years. All have been of excellent quality, though the pricing is sometimes a bit high. I have a StewMaxx membership, so I get free shipping which offsets the higher prices for me. If your friend is willing to lend them to you, it's a no-brainer IMHO. I'm sure they'll work for your purpose. The backer thingy looks a little unnecessary and gimmicky to me.

Bill
LazyLightning72 liked this
 #171596  by LazyLightning72

lbpesq wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:57 pm I haven't used the StewMac files, Chris, but I've ordered lots of tools and supplies from StewMac over the years. All have been of excellent quality, though the pricing is sometimes a bit high. I have a StewMaxx membership, so I get free shipping which offsets the higher prices for me. If your friend is willing to lend them to you, it's a no-brainer IMHO. I'm sure they'll work for your purpose. The backer thingy looks a little unnecessary and gimmicky to me.

Bill
Thanks again Bill, I hate to seem like I don’t want to get what you originally suggested, that couldn’t be farther from the truth. He’s actually willing to part with all 6 files and the backer for just the price of shipping. I don’t want to cut corners on something ( just because it’s brand new and “free” ) and end up regretting it.

With me using 10’s on my Wolf Tribute, it seems like the perfect set. I guess if all else fails, and I don’t like them/they don’t work well, I can still get the Hosco brand files.

Thanks for the guidance and advice. Hopefully one day I can pay if forward.

Chris
 #171597  by lbpesq

I'm sure they would work just as well as the Hosco. I probably wouldn't use the "backer" thingy. I gently rest my hand on the top of the file in a manner that allows me to watch the file move through the slot. I'd worry abut the backer blocking my sight line.
Just the price of shipping? With that choice I would certainly grab the files from your buddy.

Bill, tgo
 #171603  by LazyLightning72

lbpesq wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:48 pm I'm sure they would work just as well as the Hosco. I probably wouldn't use the "backer" thingy. I gently rest my hand on the top of the file in a manner that allows me to watch the file move through the slot. I'd worry abut the backer blocking my sight line.
Just the price of shipping? With that choice I would certainly grab the files from your buddy.

Bill, tgo
Good point about the backer making it hard to see what’s going on. I’m sending him the shipping today, so should have them by the beginning of next week.

I’ll update how everything went, after I get them and work on that high E saddle.
 #171648  by LazyLightning72

Received the complete file set on Tuesday, they are literally brand new. I am upgrading my phone atm, so sorry no pics, that will change. I plan to fix the sitar effect on the high E on Saturday and be done with it.
 #171649  by TI4-1009

I've used the StewMac files for years. Good stuff. If your string sizes are not exact for the files, use the next smaller file and lean it left and right to widen the slot out a bit.
lbpesq, LazyLightning72 liked this
 #171652  by LazyLightning72

TI4-1009 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:45 pm I've used the StewMac files for years. Good stuff. If your string sizes are not exact for the files, use the next smaller file and lean it left and right to widen the slot out a bit.
Thanks for the tip, I will let you all know how it went, after I work on it tomorrow.
 #171691  by LazyLightning72

*Update*

I was not able to work on the high E saddle over the weekend as planned. I did however, give it a try today.

First thanks again, to everyone who helped me on this.

I made 4 or 5 passes through the slot, letting just the weight of the file rest on it. Put the string back in, tuned up and the sitar/rattle was gone. The string rang out nice both open and fretted at several spots up the neck.

I am so glad it’s fixed, permanently this time. I can’t wait to play tonight, without this issue in the back of my mind the whole time.

Again, thanks you all for the help/guidance!
Chris
 #171693  by lbpesq

Hi Chris.

I'm glad to hear you resolved the issue and no longer have Ravi Shankar living in your bridge!

hehehehe.

And I know from experience how nice it is to do the work yourself and have it come out right the first time. Congrats!

Bill, tgo
 #171696  by TI4-1009

Glad you did it! Now come over and fix all my buzzy nuts,,,,
 #171702  by LazyLightning72

lbpesq wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:03 pm Hi Chris.

I'm glad to hear you resolved the issue and no longer have Ravi Shankar living in your bridge!

hehehehe.

And I know from experience how nice it is to do the work yourself and have it come out right the first time. Congrats!

Bill, tgo
You are absolutely correct, it was a great feeling once I did it and of course that it worked.

Like I mentioned before, I hope to pay it forward as I continue to learn how to do work like this on my own.

Hope all of you are having a great week!
Chris
 #171728  by LazyLightning72

Now that I have a full file set, and have a better understanding of how to do it correctly, I have considered redoing them all.

Just to see if it’s worth doing,
If I took the G/B/E saddles from both sets, and lightly grind off the slots on each. Couldn’t I then go through with the file set I now have (which matches my preferred string gauges) and do them over and hopefully better? I know, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it, it’s just something I’ve been thinking about the last few days since fixing the high E.

It wouldn’t take much to get those slots off, from the measurements I have taken, all are a millimeter or less. I have plenty of head room to raise the bridge to compensate if needed.

Good idea, bad?