#164824  by Pointclear

I have been slowly working my way up to starting a thread on these builds. I’ve always loved wolf, but I’ve been a little hesitant to do a complete reproduction. Here is where I am so far: three neck blanks and one body blank, and another two bodies in store. Woods are black walnut, cherry, and 200 year old maple. All hand selected. One wolf will have super distortions and a buffer, one will have 69 Strat pick ups and a blaster, and the other I haven’t decided upon yet. I’m curious about break angle strategies for the body and people’s tips in general. I love oil finishes as well and may go for a danish oil satin type finish on at least one of them. Please let me hear you’re thoughts and feedback - guitar building is a whole new world for me! Some of you have already been a huge help in getting this far.
tcsned, Seabass, Bear62 and 4 others liked this
 #164835  by TI4-1009

Tip: talk with augustwest1
Pointclear, Jblue76 liked this
 #164837  by jalevinemd

Couldn't agree more. As the curator of one of Bob's works of art, you should definitely speak with him.
 #164863  by augustwest1

Don't be shy!

I don't think I would have ever put together a guitar without all the help I got from Anthony, Brian and Leo on this forum. So I'm always ready to play my part in keeping that train rolling.

In answer to your immediate question: I "calculated" the break angle using the method explained here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95A2Rn91_Vw

In the end, I think it wound up to be 2.3 or 2.8 degrees. I don't remember. And it doesn't matter. Which is the whole point of this method.
paulinnc and 1 others liked this
 #164870  by Pointclear

Thanks for chiming in. I’ve watched that same video! Glad to know I’m on the right track. Your google photo album has been indispensable for me. Thank you for taking the time to put that together.
I’m waiting on truss rods to come in and then I’ll work out the necks. I’m using the stew Mac hot rod double actions. It looks like they will need a deep pocket.
 #164986  by Pointclear

ImageLittle update: Working slowly in Roger Fritz’s shop, I finally got my truss rod slots routed after making jigs and fiddling with things for most of a day. I’m using stewmacs hot rod dual action truss rods, but I may go for a more low-profile truss rod in the future - the slot for stew macs is really deep.
https://share.icloud.com/photos/01Kthth ... TFr6Tfi76w
 #164988  by ac4468

Pointclear wrote:ImageLittle update: Working slowly in Roger Fritz’s shop, I finally got my truss rod slots routed after making jigs and fiddling with things for most of a day. I’m using stewmacs hot rod dual action truss rods, but I may go for a more low-profile truss rod in the future - the slot for stew macs is really deep.
https://share.icloud.com/photos/01Kthth ... TFr6Tfi76w
Beware of Stewmacs low profile Hot Rod's. Out of 12 I just received, no two were the same. The welds were off and most didn't fit the properly routed slots without having to hand cut or modify the slots. Clearly they changed vendors or manufacturers. All but one are being returned.
 #164997  by Pointclear

I used the regular-depth dual action from stewmac, since you advised against the low-profile hot rod, and I had to send one back as well.
 #165908  by Pointclear

Just wanted to update with a couple of progress shots from last week: body is finished, binding is on, and I just fretted it earlier this week. I’m now working on the nut and thinking about routing for the tailpiece and installing the tuning pegs.
It’s not perfect but I’m very happy with the progress so far. I’m learning a lot and I think that this is going to be a great instrument to play.
I’ll probably trim down the pickup plate to a more narrow width and I’m toying with the idea of using mini toggles instead of a five-way switch for my pickup selections.
Anyway, I’ll try to post more often. Let me know if guys have any thoughts or questions.
Jblue76, ap0p, Seabass and 8 others liked this
 #165909  by HeadSpace

Looks awesome.

I have a great friend from college who lives in Point Clear or thereabouts. She owns a lumber yard, too. Or did, anyway. I used to love visiting. Judge Roy Bean's, the Flori-Bama, etc.
Pointclear liked this
 #165913  by jgraum

Love the roundness of the body. Looks great!

Also dig that Roy Buchanan tele 8)
 #165914  by Pointclear

jgraum wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:13 am Love the roundness of the body. Looks great!

Also dig that Roy Buchanan tele 8)

Thanks! I wanted a more ergonomic guitar with the wolf outline and I think I lucked out.
Thanks for noticing the Roger Fritz guitar next to mine. It’s really an honor to work around roger. I’m learning a lot.