#74614  by Jon S.

It's muslin, not silk. I don't know the answer to your question about how it was attached but you could contact the builder about it: Tracy Lowe at Sound Scaper Productions. And thanks for the kind words. :smile:
 #74662  by Jon S.

I love the pattern on the left (similar to HT's "hazy nova" in the colors used) and would also, were I you, double it up on the 2nd cab, too.

Looks great, enjoy 'em!
 #74678  by raisingfreen

Hello all. Just wanted to show and example of a cloth purchased from Hard Truckers. It was called Kaleidoscope Batik which I believe is from their cotton section of their Gift Shop Annex section. I think it was intended for a 2x12 cab however I liked a particular section so I only used half for my 57 deluxe.

I will note a few things I learned during installation. I had initially read that it may be possible to install directly over the existing grill cloth. Bad Idea!! So many staple removals later I cleaned the baffle and attached this nicely over the existing clean baffle. I was also installing a new speaker at the same time so it was the perfect time to do this. Initially I thought the speaker was bas as t distorted in an auwful way. I then realized it was the cloth flapping around when touching the old material.

In the end it worked great and looks great. The cost was $79 shipped from HD. Glen was very nice and walked me though any questions I had. I know it could have been done cheaper however I just couldn't find something that was individualized and different.

Check them out when you get a chance as it was an enjoyable experience.
DSCN3801.jpg
 #74711  by Jon S.

I'll second that Glenn from HT is a pleasure to work with. I turned to another supplier when it turned out that the artist for the HT pattern I'd originally selected at first wasn't able to get to the work and then left on travel but that wasn't within HT's or Glenn's direct control. I wouldn't hesitate to try again in the future for a new HT cloth though they are on the expensive side (not intended at all as a put-down, HT's cloths are absolute top-quality, merely noting an objective reality based on my comparison shopping).
 #74743  by modz

Wow! There are some great looking grills posted! Good job all! I use a piece of 1/4" birch and then make a frame around the birch ply with 1/2" baltic birch. I then cut speaker holes out of the 1/4". I stretch the cloth and staple and I use epoxy on the corners of the fabric because that is were it will tear the easiest. It was a little more costly than i figured. 8 neo mags (4 on the cab), the cloth, the wood and the time. Thanks Jon it was fun working with you and nice to get to know ya! I have a guy making me aluminum speaker clamps now. We spent $90.00 on 8 from Bag End!!!!!!!!!! Ouch. I really like the grills guys!!!
 #74745  by Jon S.

It is beautiful indeed.

BTW, here's a shot of my new SSP cab with the grill cloth off. I'm holding off on starting a thread on it specifically until I've had at least a couple of weeks to put it through its paces first but I'll do so then.

#74783  by modz

NeebruM wrote:Hard Truckers does custom grills...

Poke around on their site.

I got one a few years ago...

I didn't know you had a twin. Nice grill. I really like how HT shares info openly! That's how it should be and will be by most of us. See ya tonight!
 #74789  by Jon S.

modz wrote: Thanks Jon it was fun working with you and nice to get to know ya!
I can't believe I just realized you're modz! Same here - a pleasure working with you. Can't wait to get that cab! UPS Tracking estimates a Thursday delivery but I'll probably receive it on Friday (assuming the newest "Winter Storm Warning" doesn't put the kibosh on the delivery :? ).
 #105593  by ndrewoods

Rusty the Scoob wrote:Notice any difference in guitar music/sound? I tried some from the fabric store (cotton poly blend if I had to guess, very light) and felt like it was muffling my highs. This is on a cab that is fabric-free from the factory, has a metal grill.
Apologies to bring up an old thread but I am also curios on what would be a good source for a cab speaker cloth that won't really have an effect on the guitar music or sound it produces. Google doesn't seem to know as well :lol:
Last edited by ndrewoods on Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #105596  by zambiland

ndrewoods wrote:
Rusty the Scoob wrote:Notice any difference in sound? I tried some from the fabric store (cotton poly blend if I had to guess, very light) and felt like it was muffling my highs. This is on a cab that is fabric-free from the factory, has a metal grill.
Apologies to bring up an old thread but I am also curios on what would be a good source for a cab speaker cloth that won't really have an effect on the guitar music or sound it produces. Google doesn't seem to know as well :lol:
I don't think there is one. Every grill cloth will affect the sound to some degree. It's why I don't use one. I'd love to get some dyes, but I just don't want influence the sound.
 #105666  by wolftigerrosebud

^^ Same here. Had a great looking old tie dye that I stretched across a frame. Worked great for a grille, but it changed the sound noticeably. I only keep the grille on for transportation and storage; while playing, nothing covers up the speaker.

Edit: Notice Jerry didn't use speaker grilles on his extension cabs after the 70s.