#169261  by wabisabied

Anybody try these? I’m looking to clean up a blackfaced mid-70s Twin Reverb. Already replaced a pair of Eminence 121042s with a pair of Cannabis Rex, which is an improvement but still not as clean as I want. I was looking the EVM-12L, but not stoked on its weight of 18+ lbs. Then I saw the Copperback, at only 5.5 lbs and great reviews. I guess I just want to know if there are any downsides to them, based on first-hand experience.

I figure I’ll start with one of whatever I choose, pair it with one of the CRs, see what that mix of tone gets me, and try the other CR in my DRRI, which currently has a stock C12K in it.

Any insights and/or other suggestions appreciated. I’m really new to the speaker swap game. Main objective is to smooth out my tone and get more sparkle on the high end.
 #169263  by Jon S.

This is the speaker Victory Amps uses in its 1X12 neo cab. https://www.victoryamps.com/cabinets

This might be useful to you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE7X0jJ ... e=emb_logo

A friend on TGP had this to say about the speaker: "Speculation early on was the Copperback was Celestion's take on an EV12L but with a lightweight neodymium magnet and with Celestion guitar speaker mojo. Some compared the frequency plot to the EV12L, and Celestion's blurb seems to imply this. If that were the case the Copperback should fit in EV12L applications."
 #169267  by wabisabied

Thanks, @Jon S. I saw a ghost of your previous query about these when I searched the forum, but the thread is gone. Seems the assessment from your friend at TGP is pretty much what I’ve read elsewhere. It’d be reassuring to hear the same thing from someone who’s used them.

The shootout video is appreciated too, thanks, but seems more useful to high-gain aficionados, most of whom seem to prefer the V30.

Seems like the EVM12L would be a good choice, sonically, but would essentially render my TR about as portable as my refrigerator. If the Copperback gets me to the same place sonically, at 1/3 the weight, it would be a much more practical solution.
 #169268  by Jon S.

wabisabied wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:43 pmThe shootout video is appreciated too, thanks, but seems more useful to high-gain aficionados, most of whom seem to prefer the V30.
The first part of the video is a clean-clean-clean comparison.
 #169270  by lbpesq

Quilter uses the Celestion BN12-300S Neo speaker in their 12” guitar cabs. It’s sold as a bass speaker, but sounds really good paired with my MicroPro 200 8 combo. Super light and can handle up to 300 watts.

Bill, tgo
wabisabied liked this
 #169275  by Jon S.

I thought this might interest you. A guy in this thread (joegold - an accomplished jazzer) who bought all of the BN12, the EM12N, and the Copperback sold the latter two and kept the BN12:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... t.2022575/
 #169276  by wabisabied

Jon S. wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:55 am I thought this might interest you. A guy in this thread (joegold - an accomplished jazzer) who bought all of the BN12, the EM12N, and the Copperback sold the latter two and kept the BN12:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... t.2022575/
Interesting.

Well I ordered a Copperback last night and it has shipped, so I’ll get to find out for myself. Compared to what I’ve been playing through, I think it will be a major improvement. Should I still feel unsatisfied, I guess the quest will continue. I don’t have experience with high efficiency speakers, so won’t have much of a perspective for comparison, but will share whatever my impressions are once I get it in my rig.
 #169277  by Jon S.

I don't think you'll have any problem selling your new Copperhead speaker should you choose to after trying it. A lot of folks are wanting them now.
wabisabied liked this
 #171176  by wabisabied

Bluesdale wrote:Wabi, tell us about your copperback.
I’ll share what I sent in response to your PM:
"I like it a lot, but I have little else to compare it with from personal experience. I’ve never played through any JBLs or similar, heavy magnet speakers. This is the first I’ve messed with speaker replacements.

It’s in a mid-70s Twin Reverb, along with a Cannabis Rex. The sound is far superior to the previous Fender speakers; not originals, but likely replacements taken from a TRRI. I rarely turn the amp up past 4, usually run around 3 to 3-1/2 volume. Treble around 9, mids around 3-4, and bass around 6. Not a Jerry Rig by any means, but his sound is definitely a central reference point for me. It feels to me like I get a much broader range of dynamic response to my playing and use of volume control on guitar than with previous speakers. Since the Copperback is rated to 250 watts and the CRex is only 50, I figure most of the sound I’m getting is from the Copperback, but my assumption could be wrong - I’m hardly an expert."

Here’s a phone video clip my friend shot here on the 4th. Not exactly Jerry style playing, though. Rhythm guitar parts are looped and going through the TR along with lead part being played. Bass is looped through a Fender Rumble 40.

Signal chain of lead part is Strat Plus Deluxe bridge pup (Lace Sensor Red, T@4, V@7) -> EP Booster (@1:00) -> Earth Drive (T@1:00, V@2:00, D@10:00) -> Pigtronix Echolution 2 delay (no filter, about 2:1 dry:wet) -> Volume pedal (@50%) -> ’75 Twin Reverb (V@3.5, T@9, M@3.5, B@5.5) with Copperback and Cannabis Rex speakers.

I’ll put up a better recording one of these days, but this will give a basic idea of the sound I get, and a chance to see some dogs being dogs.

https://youtu.be/znHC8W3we2I?t=112

*PS: I’ve edited to update my signal chain and settings after going out and actually having a look at them.
Last edited by wabisabied on Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #171177  by Jon S.

If the phrase "bell-like tone" hasn't yet worn out its welcome on these forums, may I apply it to the tone in your video. I think you sound splendid.
wabisabied liked this
 #171179  by Gr8fulCadi

The tone is great!!…but I LOVE the Golden Retrievers!! We lost our Golden Scarlet, a couple yrs ago. Bout time to get another.
wabisabied liked this
 #171180  by wabisabied

Thank you, Jon! Like I think I mentioned on another thread, it’s hard to put the guitar down sometimes.

And @Gr8fulCadi, it’s hard to beat a golden! Sorry for your loss. They’re irreplaceable but your next friend will be a new joy all its own.
Gr8fulCadi liked this