#163583  by joethepainter
 Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:07 am
aiq wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:49 am
RFK, DC. 6/9/73. Not sure about this one. I seem to remember many of the cabs but not sure if a "whole" was in effect.

Curtis Hixon, Tampa. 12/18, 19/73 partial Wall.

Jai Lai Fronton, Miami. 6/23/74. Full Wall.

Best live sound I ever heard, clean clear. Audiophile sound writ large.

Modern line arrays direct result of course.
+1 for 6/23..Dark Star is good and weird, the U.S. Blues intro is forever, odd. Love it, thanks for sharing, one of my faves :-)
LD273 liked this
 #163584  by hippieguy1954
 Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:37 am
The Roosevelt Stadium shows with the wall were amazing! You could get real close pretty easy and really see the whole set up. Was so amazing to look at and then of course when they started playing, you felt it hit your chest and thru the ground. The fidelity and clarity was truly amazing to experience.
 #163606  by old man down
 Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:37 pm
kurt eye wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:23 am
If I had a time machine, my first trip would be a 73' or 74' WOS show. If you are so inclined I'd love to hear some oral history from folks who saw and heard the wall of sound (the voice of God according to Phil Lesh) first hand. What do you remember?

//
Truly a great picture of the Dead, maybe '75 (don't know) because Jerry had shaved his beard off, which didn't sit well with a lot of folks.

Weir with his classic "characteristic bent knees" pose and "Howdy Doody" young-guy face.

Phil looks so completely relaxed.

With the Wall of Sound, one of the coolest moments to experience was when all of the instruments would come together all at once to hit that crescendo mid-jam E-chord in Truckin'. You'd feel the sound wave go right through you.

This pic raises the question, "When did Jerry stop wearing boots on stage?"
//
LD273 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:00 am
My frst show was Feb '73 when was a freshman @ university of Illinois.
On the bus.
Spring'74, the Dead (& the wall) are booked for des Moines Iowa at the state fairgrounds in June. An out door afternoon show. I think the tickets were $5.
It's about a 5-6 hour drive & we're on the road in my buddy's VW Beetle. Couple hours out from des Moines, we go through a speed trap & get pulled over. All we had with us was some weed, but back in 74, ANY amount of weed was a fairly serious issue, so we're both more than a little nervous. Cop takes Pete back to his cruiser to run his license. It's pretty appearance by our attire who we are & what we're up to, but after about 10 minutes, pete comes back to the car with only a warning and we are sent on our way.
He later told me that when the trooper was on his radio reporting the stop, he told dispatch something like, "yea, I got a couple astronauts on their way to Des moines"
The show......a sunny cool Sunday afternoon, & even outdoors, when entered the fairgrounds & saw the wall, your first thought was Holy Shit!
We find a spot about on the field about 50' from the stage in front of Jerry.
As usual, they start late due to "technical dificulties" Phil steps up to his mic to explain in a booming voice that THESE THINGS TAKE TIME!!
Then Jerry steps up to his mic & offers "time is a subjective phenomenon."
The sounds was a little off at first, bat after a couple songs, they get it dialed in & what followed was a monster 3 set show, with a setlist that included every song I would have put on my wishlist.
I never went out "on tour", so my resume' is kind of limited....about 15 or 20 shows, mostly in the 70's. A few in the 80 's and Brent's last 2 shows in 1990. (The stadium scene wasn't for me) but Des Moines 74 was far & away the high point.
//
Funniest line I've ever read on this site. :lol:
 #163871  by fatztreeboy
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:57 am
nice u mentioned ur dad.... my dad was challenged also w/ me n my brother n sisters, wow . amazing how mellow he stayed..... first time(1967) he found my weed he did jump on me n box my ears.. i was 12 n already taller then him..... he came around and thought a lil weed was fine also :) . cool story

old man down wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:45 pm
I'll add just a little bit more on detail about the Springfield and Roosevelt (rainout) shows.

So, Springfield was a civic center layout, and we were friends coming together from several locations, 4 of us, and we had made it clear where we would be, and to look for each other outside on the steps. It was funny, but back then if you kept your eyes open chances were good you would see other friends at Dead shows, just because Dead Heads always showed up at Dead shows.

The layout of the civic center was like a hockey rink "open floor" and assigned seats in the stands. With your assigned seat ticket, you could enter into one of the portal doors and then walk horizontally around at that level. You could do a full 360 around the place.

I remember when I first went into the portal door, none of the band were on stage, and maybe a few "hands" were making minor adjustments to various things. The house-lights were on and no one was really seated yet. Just groups of people here and there. There was music coming from the WoS, maybe at 1/3 volume, and it was Stevie Wonder singing, "I'm too high, too high, …" and it sort of captured my state of mind. All of us were looking around, and we identified where our seats would be come show time.

I was walking with one friend, who owned an electric guitar, and he was the guy who got me interested in playing to begin with. (I'm much better than him, now, btw; he can't play much of anything, really.) So as we walked near where Garcia would stand, he pointed out to me, "Look at Garcia's Macintosh Amps." I knew nothing about gear, but from a distance the blue glow from the glass windows of those amps looked really cool. We kept walking around and the view from behind the stage was a terrible place to be. But even from there I could hear Stevie's "I'm too high, too high…" just fine. The reason my friend knew about the Macintosh amps was because the bunch of us had all gone to the same boarding school, and at boarding school, if you were cool, you owned a"stereo." Well, my future to be brother-in-law had somehow fried my "electric guitar" friend's "stereo" Macintosh amp with a wrong speaker connection hook up, and so that "stereo" never worked right, if at all, after that. But his Macintosh amp "stereo" had that dual "blue window" look, and I guess that's how he knew from a distance about Garcia's amps.

For the Roosevelt Stadium rainout, I remember that when it began raining, it wasn't a little rain, it was sheets of rain, and windy. Take cover under the stadium overhang over the seats. So, it was only when it had cleared a lot that Weir was able to come out and address everybody. We were all thinking, good, we're going to see a show after all! I don't remember Weir getting hit with a bottle or can, and I don't remember Hell's Angels kicking anybody in the crowd, but it may have happened. Generally speaking, this would have been a John Sher produced event, and his security, maybe Roosevelt stadium security, too, would be keeping order, and with cops from Jersey City. Hell's Angels, they get a bad rap a lot, but you'd be surprised how many of them also know how to wear a suit and tie, work a regular job, pay bills, raise a family.

Because I had hitchhiked to the concert with my later-to-be brother-in-law, when the concert got rained out, we were unable to find the guy who picked us up on Route 3. (he was also going to the concert) So, we had to hitchhike back home to my parent's place, and everything was flooded. Underpasses, that normally allowed easy access in and out, were underwater. And because I was in such a confused state of mind at the time, I couldn't figure out how to get home. My BiL to-be asked me questions like, "You don't even know the roads around your own home?"

Yup… I was a dope back then, all of seventeen years old, no steady job, and just wanted to see the Grateful Dead as much as possible.

When we finally got home that night, I couldn't sleep, and I remember going into the basement and playing my $88 Degas nylon string guitar at the bottom of the stairs, trying to be quiet. At one point, really late, my father opened the basement stairs door, and said something about how he was wondering what the noise was. (he was being kind, probably concerned about me) I said I'd only be a little longer. The next morning he drove me and my BiL to be to the Garden State Parkway to hitchhike to Canada. I was so fried by then. My father said something about how smoking a little pot now and then isn't too much, but don't do heavy drugs. He was so kind… how he ever endured me and the rest of his kids back in the '70s, I'll never know.
 #163873  by old man down
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:19 pm
A little serendipity here… my Brother in Law called me just now, today, to say "Hi."

We spoke for half an hour, and he brought up the rained out Dead concert at Roosevelt Stadium in '74.

Because the roads were so flooded leading back to my parents house that night, and we had to hitchhike back because the guy we got a ride with (to the concert, we hitchhiked there) was no where to be found, we found ourselves walking along Rt. 3 and just a little of Rt. 46, where they transition in New Jersey. It's a little uneven right where those two highways converge, some underpasses and stuff, and the water had collected in the low areas.

So, it was late and another car was coming, and we took notice of it because there was flooding all around us with little room to walk, and we were not even hitching anymore, …just hiking. But the guy was cruising pretty good in an oldish car… a beater.

He hit the water, lost control of his car — this was all right in front of us, no more than thirty feet from us — did a 360º and hit the cement opposite-traffic divider, sparks flew everywhere, and since the car was again heading in its original direction, it just continued on its way.

My friend (now BiL) and I, we each looked at each other, and I said something like, "Did that just happen?" It was so surreal that it was almost unbelievable. But because the car had left with virtually no trace left behind, and given our dosed state of minds, the questioned presented itself at the time.

But yeah, my brother-in-law just called me… and he brought up that story, not me… reminiscing about a rained out Roosevelt Stadium Dead show over 44 years ago.
 #163946  by zambiland
 Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:17 pm
Speaking of Springfield and meeting people there, I went to the 1978 show that became half of DP 25. I was 17 and lived in Boston. My parents said I could go as long as they came to pick me up as they didn't want me to be at the mercy of an inebriated driver. My previous experiences with GD shows was that they ended around 2:30AM. So, I told them to pick me up then. Well, I guess that's when the union overtime fees started being an issue because they started on time, took a somewhat short break and ended at midnight. There was no lot scene, so I found myself (experiencing what that night was famous for) by myself in front of the Civic Center absolutely alone by 12:30. I waited for 2 hours, with the cops circling by about every 20 minutes making sure I was OK. By the time my parents came to get me, all my friends were home in bed. I have to give them props for dedication to my concert going experience.

I missed the WoS period, but got turned on around summer of 1973, when I was 12, when my little sister's baby sitter left a copy of E72 at the house. By the time I saw them in 6/76 at the Music Hall in Boston, 1974 seemed an awful long time gone.