#117593  by redeyedjim

Vintage Peavey Mace with two JBL K120s for $400. It has a surprisingly good tone despite the solid state preamp section - channel 1 has the soul of a Twin Reverb, and channel 2 cops a nice Marshall crunch when you lean on it. It's also unbelievably frickin' loud (six 6L6CG power tubes, although one of the power tubes is bad).

I was only looking for spare speakers, and now I have (another) spare amp. I was going to keep the speakers and sell it the amp, but it sounds so good I think I'm going to keep it; it's an embarrassment of riches. For a guy who doesn't even gig, I have waaaaaaaay too much gear...
 #117595  by joethepainter

redeyedjim wrote:Image

Vintage Peavey Mace with two JBL K120s for $400. It has a surprisingly good tone despite the solid state preamp section - channel 1 has the soul of a Twin Reverb, and channel 2 cops a nice Marshall crunch when you lean on it. It's also unbelievably frickin' loud (six 6L6CG power tubes, although one of the power tubes is bad).

I was only looking for spare speakers, and now I have (another) spare amp. I was going to keep the speakers and sell it the amp, but it sounds so good I think I'm going to keep it; it's an embarrassment of riches. For a guy who doesn't even gig, I have waaaaaaaay too much gear...
Hey redeyed, That's too cool! I understand that the Sweet Home Alabama solos were recorded with a Peavey mace into a Marshall cab, with a strat...no matter how you feel about the song, you have to admit, that's some sweet-assed classic tone! AND with 2 JBL's?? Good lord...Nice Score... :-)