#117308  by Smolder

yes but with slightly different results. It's a 3" voice coil just like the d110. Also, it's a low wattage speaker (like 15-20) and it has a ribbed cone. All of that to say it won't handle nearly the same power and you'll hear it break up sooner. I have a pair in a twin I run at low power and they work pretty well. But it's not exactly the response you'd be getting from an x120.

Great speakers though... still have that dry crispness of a jbl.
 #117309  by cincinnatiohio

i have the chance to buy 2 D123's in a cabinet for around 250... maybe a little less. initially i would be running these from my fender deville 410 which has been modded down to around 27 watts. i would hope that with 27 watts, these would maybe be a good starter garcia speaker situation.

i would probably subvert the old factory jensens and just run from the amp to the cabinet of 212's. thoughts anyone?
 #117311  by Smolder

I think the price you quoted is a bit steep. I see them posted BIN on ebay for that and more, but have seen a handful of pairs go for $100-150 plus shipping in the last 6 months (the lower end is what I paid for mine). The obvious caveat being that you can't touch or smell them before you buy. Old speakers like that can have voice coil rub which is pretty easy to detect, but only if you in the same room with them.

edit - sorry, I missed the 'in a cabinet' part. Depending on the cab, could be a great deal.
 #117323  by Smolder

cincinnatiohio wrote:found 2 k120's for $300. might just buy those. seems pretty reasonable. what do ya think...?
thats a great price.
 #117344  by cincinnatiohio

Ok so i have found 2 options for my first leap into real quality guitar speakers... Time to get rid of the 15 year original speakers in my 410 deville. Gonna try and put a 2x12 cabinet together to run off that as a start to a new rig. Everything ive read said JBL is the way to go. It's modded to 27 watts instead of 60.

here's the final play:

2 JBL E120's in a functional but old amped cabinet for $250

Or

2 JBL K120's redone by spiral, no cabinet for $335 including shipping.

I would be welcome to all feedback from people's experience.

Thanks!!!!
 #117347  by NSP

cincinnatiohio wrote:Ok so i have found 2 options for my first leap into real quality guitar speakers... Time to get rid of the 15 year original speakers in my 410 deville. Gonna try and put a 2x12 cabinet together to run off that as a start to a new rig. Everything ive read said JBL is the way to go. It's modded to 27 watts instead of 60.

here's the final play:

2 JBL E120's in a functional but old amped cabinet for $250

Or

2 JBL K120's redone by spiral, no cabinet for $335 including shipping.

I would be welcome to all feedback from people's experience.

Thanks!!!!
I have both E's and K's and I currently use the K's exclusively in my 2x12 cab, which is my main rig. I am partial to the tone of the K's which is good because just thinking about hauling around a 2x12 loaded with E120's makes my back hurt....those puppies are heavy.
 #117348  by mgbills

I have both. K's would be my choice as well. Wish I had a bigger stack of them.
 #117350  by Smolder

My vote is for the K's as well. They are very close to the D's (the grail). My E's have been moved to wedge monitors at this point.
 #117355  by cincinnatiohio

i am about to send out $335.00 including shipping for 2 JBL K120's redone by spiral to specs of D120's!

it's a huge leap for me as i've never gotten replacement speakers of any kind and i am not a technical electronics type. little nervous but from what everyone seems to say, it is THE speaker to get.

thanks to all for the recommendations. all help is good help!
 #117559  by JonnyBoy

I think you will like the K's done to a lower wattage handling of the D120's with a 27 watt amp. A whole new world of tone that opens up with JBL's for sure.

I love the k120's but I am partial to the E120's in my bigger Jerry rig, go figure. I put one K120 into my HRD and it sings like no one's business tho! Good Luck!