#100984  by Bobbyg

For light traveling, can I use my 1x12 (JBl K-120) 8 Ohm speaker cab powered by the Rocktron Velocity 300 amp. Would I be in danger of blowing the speaker?
 #100986  by hippieguy1954

Bobbyg wrote:For light traveling, can I use my 1x12 (JBl K-120) 8 Ohm speaker cab powered by the Rocktron Velocity 300 amp. Would I be in danger of blowing the speaker?
The K-120 is rated for 100 watts.
 #100987  by Bobbyg

Since it is 100 Watts, does that mean I can't run it with the Rocktron?
 #100993  by strummingturtle

I have done this with good results. switch mode to "bridged" and use channel 1. I have only played in small places like this so the amp did not make it past 1/2 cranked.
Call Rocktron to check they are nice folks 269-968-3351
Peace
 #101003  by JamminJommy

SS amps only hit their wattage rating with the throttle open. Theoretically, you are not in danger of blowing the speaker if you keep it lower than 2/3 on the dial by running only one side. I think...

Peace,

Jommy
 #101024  by zambiland

JamminJommy wrote:SS amps only hit their wattage rating with the throttle open. Theoretically, you are not in danger of blowing the speaker if you keep it lower than 2/3 on the dial by running only one side. I think...

Peace,

Jommy
This is not entirely true. You can get a solid state amp to put out its entire power rating with the input down by feeding it enough gain. It might distort first, which would make it even more likely to blow your speaker from sending it a signal that is clipping.

As far as using one channel, this shouldn't harm the amp. If it does, the Rocktron is a piece of crap. However, from what people have said, it's not, so this isn't a problem.

As far as blowing the speaker, just keep your ears open for signs of stress and if it seems like you are over loading the speaker, simply turn it down.

Short answer: go for it.
 #101025  by Bobbyg

Thanks for the tips and your thoughts. I have this nice original K120 and really don't want to ruin it! I suppose I will just keep the volume down, probably only need it on 3 or 4 anyway.
 #101026  by mijknahs

eeeeee wrote:As far as blowing the speaker, just keep your ears open for signs of stress and if it seems like you are over loading the speaker, simply turn it down.
But they sound sooo good right before they blow...

Just kidding. I've never blown a speaker before.
 #101027  by Bobbyg

mijknahs wrote:
eeeeee wrote:As far as blowing the speaker, just keep your ears open for signs of stress and if it seems like you are over loading the speaker, simply turn it down.
But they sound sooo good right before they blow...

Just kidding. I've never blown a speaker before.
I was afraid of that! 8)