#100728  by Bobbyg
 Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:07 pm
Can I use my Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue as a speaker cab until I acquire a new speaker cab? I am putting together a new rack rig (SMS) and would like to use the JBL K-120 in the combo as my speaker short term. Would that work and would I just solder new wire to the speaker and install a 1/4" jack somewhere on the back of the DRRI I am a totally novice wiring person! If that can be done, what kind of wire would I use and how would I also hook it up to the 1/4 jack? Would be appreciative of any advice. Thanks!
 #100731  by JamminJommy
 Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:18 pm
It's actually fairly easy to wire up a speaker cab. You can totally use the DRRi as a cab in the interim. It would be as simple as disconnecting the current speaker wires, then having two decent gauged wires attached to the speaker terminals and ending in a 1/4" plug, bypassing the jack completely. But you could also wire an input jack and install it on the cab, too. The speaker is otherwise relatively independent of all the other guts in the enclosure.

Hoped that helps.


 #100734  by Bobbyg
 Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:31 pm
Johnny, thanks for the help. One more question, what gauge wire would you recommend and is there a special way to put the wire the 1/4 plug?
 #100739  by tcsned
 Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:53 pm
I used my TRRI as a speaker cab I had just used a two-way female 1/4" connector for the speaker. Before I dragged my old Boogie 2x12 out of mothballs I was going to just drill a hole in the back cover (the thing in front of the tubes or the one on the bottom in front of the reverb tank) and mount a 1/4" jack. But I've held off drilling into it since as of yet it is unmodified and I have another 2x12 cab. If you're going to get a cab I'd just use an adapter to bide time and not modify unless you feel it's necessary.