#172000  by perljam

Hey there
Thinking of building a 1x10 speaker cabinet with a JBL to get the Jerry tone with light weight. Has anyone tried this? How does it sound compared to a 12"?
Thanks!
 #172016  by Pete B.

I have a K110 8ohm in a 1x10 cab. I run a speaker cord from the back of a Twin Reverb to it. I would say it is excellent for Jerry Tone. I don't want to blow the speaker though so I haven't gigged with it. I mainly use it for band rehearsals and in-home volume playing.
Compared to a K112 I have it is a bit crisper, sharper, treble-ee-er. It really sounds great and I would by another if I come across one.
strumminsix liked this
 #172046  by Smolder

It doesn’t quite do the D/K120 or 130 thing given that it doesn’t have a 4” voice coil, but it the closest you’ll find in a ten inch speaker.
 #172073  by Jon S.

mkaufman wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:11 pmNever received
https://rukind.com/viewtopic.php?f=360&t=20935
 #173738  by perljam

I have a K110 and I've been trying to make it work. I have it in a very small open back hard trucker cabinet I made and it's all midrange. I used a piece of cardboard to simulate a closed back and it sounds much better. I'll build out a back for the cab and try again - I think it will do the trick.
 #173739  by caspersvapors

My personal experience with JBLs is the bigger they are the better they sound

K130 > K120 > K110

That said there is a guy on TGP selling K130s for $150/ea which is a deal if you ask me. Trouble is finding a cab for em
 #173744  by playingdead

I have some experience here, as before I went ampless I had a 2X10 Hard Trucker cabinet with a pair of K-110s I had custom made by HT and a standard HT 2X12 with a pair of E-120s.

Subjectively, in a room with just the guitar, back to back, the K-110 is a sweeter sounding speaker. It just sounds nice and warm. Really nice. The E-120, in comparison, is much harsher and strident to the ears, very sterile, little warmth.

In the mix, the E-120 cuts through like a knife and it's "that" sound. The K-110 does not cut through as well and it sounds thinner, which is not what you might expect.

(This is exactly what I used to find live when I would use a Twin head with E-120s and swap for a Vibrolux with a pair K-110s at smaller gigs. Sounded nicer alone, didn't cut through the mix.)

In fact, I made impulse response files of both cabinets to use with my Fractal equipment and found exactly the same listening back to multitracks, the K-110 just does not have the same bite and will not cut through the mix as well as the E-120. I use the E-120 IR file live.

So, if you're playing live with a band, the extra weight of the E-120s is well worth it. If you're playing for fun in your living room, you will enjoy the K-110s.

#173815  by Stella Bloo

Funny Vic,

I am the guy who purchased those K-110's in the Hard Trucker cab from you (in the picture above) and still have them. I agree, I play only in my home studio and the K-110's are perfect for that situation. Not sure how they would stand up in a larger, live situation but perfect for small studio/home use.