#90873  by unnbrokenchain

I have been a primary guitar player for the past 10 years, and I have been interested lately in building a nice Bass rig. I figure it would cost no more than 2 grand, half of that going towards a used Quantum 5 string Modulus. My two favorite bassist in the world use an Eden WT800 amplifier and a Meyersound CP-10 EQ, so I would like to have an Eden and the equivalent to the Meyersound EQ. I'm thinking a 2x10 and a 1x15 cabinet would be a nice fit for me. I'm new to the bass world, so if you need too, fill me in on anything I'm missing. I'd like to get a nice rack case with the Eden, power conditioner, tuner and one or two effects.
 #90877  by JonnyBoy

our guy uses a 4x10 and a 15" and he has nice volume and tone. You may have to add some more 10" speakers to combat the amp power depending, plus it will be a versatile cab for other applications... 2K for that is a score in my book if in good shape...
 #90878  by unnbrokenchain

I really have not researched it that deeply. I wasn't planning on getting it all at once. Once I get my Modulus, I'm going to send it directly into my PA temporarily. WIth the Eden WT800, I'm working with 400 watts on each side. How does that work when it comes to bass rigs? One side powers lets say the 10" speaker cab, and the other side of the amp powers the 15" cab?
 #90884  by brbadg

Eden WT800 amplifier.Hmm more than enough power for any application I'd say ( unless you play MSG regularly.) I looked at Phil's rig and he's just using the eden heads.I saw him adjusting their eq.
 #90891  by unnbrokenchain

^^^ Ha! actually I intend to. But really, I just found a deal for a WT800 with a 4X10" Eden cab for 900. If the guy was really desperate I could probably talk him down to 850 or 800$. If I had the money now, I would jump on that.
 #90894  by jdsmodulus

For sure get the Modulus, if you can you might want to look into the TBX neck through series, they are a little older but sometimes a little cheaper in the used market. Paging Rusty for amp advise!
Hard Truckers were making custom order cabs for bass so you might want to look over there too!
 #90900  by Rusty the Scoob

I've never heard a hard truckers bass cab... no disrespect meant to them but I think of them more like a guitar company that also offers a 2x15" cab just because they can. It takes a lot more engineering to make a sealed & ported bass cab than an open-backed guitar cab. Maybe they've done the math and maybe they haven't, there's no indication on their website.

Can't go wrong with Eden gear if you have the dough. Same with the Modulus. Unless you do some really careful shopping it looks like you have at least $3k in gear plans though, not $2k. I see used Q5s generally in the $1,700 and up range on Ebay.

2x10" with 1x15" is what I run for speakers and they are enough for most clubs, especially if you power them well. My rig with 350 watts can hold its own against a small PA although a Twin will blow it away.
 #90903  by Rusty the Scoob

jdsmodulus wrote:HT cab under products, bass cab. On their website 1600 bucks.
Right. Now that I look again they do show it as ported, but I've still never heard one to know if they're awesome or terrible. Generally I think 2x15" is overkill for most clubs though, and that's over 75% of his budget just for one very unportable cab. Assuming he's talking about the Cactus as his 2nd favorite bass player he'll want the punch delivered by at least two 10" speakers, too. Personally until I win the lottery or hear one of their cabs for myself, I'll stick with the proven and more affordable Eden.

There's also a relatively new company (5-10 years) called Genz-Benz that doesn't have the instant recognizability of those gold Eden heads but I have a few freinds with their amps and they are definitely worth looking into. Really nice clean sounds and they build a wide variety of amp sizes. They'll be first on my shopping list when my SWR finally dies.
 #90906  by hogan

Rusty the Scoob wrote:
jdsmodulus wrote:HT cab under products, bass cab. On their website 1600 bucks.
Right. Now that I look again they do show it as ported, but I've still never heard one to know if they're awesome or terrible. Generally I think 2x15" is overkill for most clubs though, and that's over 75% of his budget just for one very unportable cab. Assuming he's talking about the Cactus as his 2nd favorite bass player he'll want the punch delivered by at least two 10" speakers, too. Personally until I win the lottery or hear one of their cabs for myself, I'll stick with the proven and more affordable Eden.

There's also a relatively new company (5-10 years) called Genz-Benz that doesn't have the instant recognizability of those gold Eden heads but I have a few freinds with their amps and they are definitely worth looking into. Really nice clean sounds and they build a wide variety of amp sizes. They'll be first on my shopping list when my SWR finally dies.
I can build the same cab for WAY less. ($500 unloaded) The HTs are ported. Edwin has played the HTs and said they sound great, that's good enough for me. That said, there is not any magic to it and 1600 for a cab is the definition of insanity. You bass guys should look into Bill Fitzmaurice's stuff.

If it were me i'd grab a used fender bass, used f-2b, a stereo 400 watt power amp, 1X15 and a tight 4X10 on top and maybe an EQ w/ stereo outs. Bob's your uncle, Fannies your aunt. What do i know, i don't play bass?
 #90916  by tigerstrat

Walk into a bass amp department of a decent music store, close your eyes, turn around a few times and say "ok, I'll drop $1000 (1500?) on...this!" and then point in a random direction. You will probably wind up with something you'll be very happy with.
 #90917  by Grateful Dad

I found a Mesa Boogie 4x10 Powerhouse cabinet on Ebay for only $500.00 I run it with a Mesa 400+ head. The 4x10 cabinet is relatively easy to move around for gigging and puts out real punch in lows mids and highs plus it's built solid like a brick outhouse. For bigger rooms and outdoor gigs I'll hook up a single 15" to the 4x10 for more sound.

I used to use a 2x15 cabinet but it was like moving a refrigerator and it was too much for most rooms and a real bitch to move at 3am.

I'm no expert on all the stuff available today, but the Mesa 4x10 cabinet is the best sound with surprisingly fat and clear lows I've been able to get so far.

Good luck and let us know what you get.

:smile:
 #90922  by Rusty the Scoob

tigerstrat wrote:Walk into a bass amp department of a decent music store, close your eyes, turn around a few times and say "ok, I'll drop $1000 (1500?) on...this!" and then point in a random direction. You will probably wind up with something you'll be very happy with.
It's true, as long as the bass sound is reasonably clean and tight you can't go too wrong. You could also say, though, that any ordinary Strat set to the middle pickup through any clean Fender amp comes fairly close to Jerry's tone. :twisted:
 #90927  by jdsmodulus

Rusty the Scoob wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:Walk into a bass amp department of a decent music store, close your eyes, turn around a few times and say "ok, I'll drop $1000 (1500?) on...this!" and then point in a random direction. You will probably wind up with something you'll be very happy with.
It's true, as long as the bass sound is reasonably clean and tight you can't go too wrong. You could also say, though, that any ordinary Strat set to the middle pickup through any clean Fender amp comes fairly close to Jerry's tone. :twisted:

now that is not only true its really funny!!!! Considering the money I have spent on gear over the years. :lol: :lol: :lol:
 #90936  by unnbrokenchain

Everything Hard Truckers sells is overpriced. If I had 2 grand now, I could get a used Eden cab and amp, and a used Modulus, which would push it to maybe 2,500. But, I have a bunch of stuff I could sell that I don't touch anymore. Just get those three things, and I'll work from there. I remember Mike played one of his Eden amps with just a 2x10 Eden cab with nothing else, maybe from what I remember, at Phest 8 last year on the acoustic set and had a great sound. I'm just really excited for when I get a 10" cab, since I've only played bass through cheap 15" combos for the past couple years. 1,400 to 1,700 is great I think for a used Modulus. They have been proven to be the best, and they keep their value. If only I could get an alembic for that much!